owasco lake 5-9-2011

johnnywalleye

tried owasco for some eyes.630 am till 113o am..2 lakers for the effort fished from 3 -33 fow...also tried the river..nada....mabey they have all been taken out????i dont believe the stockin program is still active..does anyyone know??i heard through the rumor mill that some fingerlings where bein grown on howsland island and then bein transported to the lake?????and so long 4 now;john

Fisheries Management

Gamefish present include lake trout, brown trout, rainbow trout, smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, walleye, northern pike and pickerel. Panfish present include pumpkinseed, bluegills, rock bass, bullhead and yellow perch. The major forage fish are alewives and yellow perch.

Owasco lake is stocked annually with approximately 16,000 lake trout, 5,000 rainbow trout and 10,000 brown trout. Owasco Inlet is stocked with 20,000 rainbow trout. For fishing regulations refer to the Finger Lakes and Tributary regulations in the fishing guide.

An ongoing angler diary cooperator program for gamefish provides DEC fisheries staff with useful data on population trends. Angler diary results can be viewed at region 7 angler diary results . We are always looking for new cooperators, so if you are interested please contact the Region 7 office at (607) 753-3095 ext. 213 or online at [email protected]

seems it had not been stocked with eyes since 2008 as the catch rates for trout, walleyes collapsed which caused concern over too having had too many predator fish and resultant pressures hurting bait fish population. so now the DEC focus is on trout only.

if you google the subject, there appears to be controversy and petition on the correct approach to managing this fishery. maybe someone familiar might chime in with the details and scuttlebut

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

I have been reading all the walleye discussion about Owasco for a while now. The DEC stopped stocking walleye in 2008 but they are definitely still in there. I have been walking the pier the last couple of nights with a flashlight looking for them and each night I have seen over 30 walleye. I fished opening night and got my limit in an hour in the river leading out of the lake. Here are some pics of opening night. Sorry for the poor quality as they were taken on my cell:

IMAG0322.jpg

IMAG0318.jpg

DSCI0151.jpg