Canandaigua 7.15 & 7.16

Okay 7.15 report, north end nada zip zilch skunk,

Ah now 7.16 report, put out the trusty 8" echips with flies,

couldn't get any takers and could not locate many fish,

switched to 11" white flashers with glow squids, off the riggers and sped up to 3mph in search mode cruising north end east to west just south of german bros. had a release down 70' nice scrappy 'bow put up a good fight and show,

cpr'ed him and set him off and as I sped up again to 3 mph he decided to belly up. Well I circled around to scoop him up since I thought he gave up but as I scooped net under him he righted himself scooted right out of the net and skampered across the surface and went down, like I scared the life back into him, very cool to watch, kept up the same program landing 2 lakers at 70' down in same area same speed, released them all to play another day.

FLXTroutman,

I have fished the north end of Canandaigua for the past 10 years or so having very good success running the meat rig (seth green set up).

I have not heard of many people using a flasher/fly program there. Usually all I hear is running the meat rig or bottom fishing bait.

Is it worthwhile to give it a try? Are sometimes of year better for it?

I only made it there a few times this spring due to boat repair (floor/carpet/paint) that took me much longer than I anticipated, but things seem to be much slower there than normal. Do you think so too?

Usually I fish Canandaigua from early April - mid June then take the summer off to hit the smallies on Ontario, then return in October & November when the Laker fishing really turns on.This year I did smallies a few times and decided it wasn't worth while with all the gobies and the smallies being much less cooperative than in years past - numbers seem down. So I turned to the Big O for salmon and I'll tell you what, it is going to be tough for me to head back to Canandaigua with the meat rig. The king fishing is unbelieveably exciting.

I don't know if you fish Ontario at all, but it sounds like you are all set up for it. If Canandaigua isn't producing or if you are looking for a change of scenery, I would strongly recommend giving it a try. I am just learning the whole trolling with flashers/flies/dodger/dipsey thing, and it has been fairly easy and productive.

Maybe I'll see you on the north end of Canandaigua this fall if I can pull myself away from the action on Ontario.

GOOD FISHING!

I know what you mean, salmon fishing Lake O is much more exciting, however I live 5 minutes from North End boat launch. Easy on the truck gas and my boat is only a 14' Smokercraft. I am fully rigged though you know it, and I have had the pleasure of salmon fishing many times with Yankee Troller and Jax, Fishinman a couple times. I agree I have had some slow trips this year but I haven't been out as much also. The flasher and fly or squid is my best producer by far. 8 " Echips in green or white and 11 " Hot Spots in green or white, lately AtoMik hammer Fly has been good as has Howie No SeeUm. The speed control has been my mission for 4 years now. The last two seasons I have run the Sub troll and it has improved my catch for sure. Also I am targeting bow and browns at 3 mph at the ball instead of 1.5 to 2.5 for lakers. I did catch the two lakers Monday going 3 mph though. 70' down over 135' down temp was 49- 51 degrees. As far as time of year I have caught my largest fish in August, last year 10 lb laker and 2 years ago 11 lb laker. This year I have some more newbies coming to visit in August and they always bring the good luck and good karma, I am hoping to hit the trifecta with a laker , brown, and rainbow all over 12 lbs.

FLXTroutman,

Very understandable with your proximatey to Canandaigua Lake, and the gas prices. Also sounds like you have had production there.

I'm glad to see that you have had the Lake Ontario experience - it's a blast! The anticipation of the screaming reels is just the beginning of the fun. :D

This fall I will have to try the flasher/ fly set up there. Are you running it off the rigger or wire?

GOOD LUCK with your 12# trifecta!

LTtroller

(Bob)

I will run the flasher fly program off both riggers and wire, wire has not produced much lately, though for some reason. When I do have a couple people on board I run the 2 riggers, 2 wires, and 2 inline boards usually with snap weights and sticks. Solo usually 2 riggers, I will run a 1 wire, 1 rigger early and see if they like the wire that day. Hey Chris what's up

next time your out kick up the speed and see what happens, I would recommend it for the bows. Preferred temp over that deeper water was the best place to be, I cruised my usual spots like dragon wall and west side by marina but it was too shallow not enough room in water column for temp to set up. With all the trout excitement I forgot I did land a release a nice small mouth off a rigger set at 50' down over 75 FOW with the 11" white Hot Spot and a glow squid, first fish of the day near the dragon wall.