Cayuga lake 5/25/11

Took Bob and Steve out for an all day fishing trip. Wholy cow was the weather a dream or what! :o The fishing was also Great ;) We boated 45 to 50 Lake trout on the North end of Cayuga! No Joke! The biggest was 9lbs. We had a lot in the 6 to 8lb range. The heavy weight producers were white hammer spin doctor paired with Whisling dick fusion and green green dot spinny paired with salty balls. I ran those 2 setups all day 280 to 350 ft out on the dipsies. We stayed no shallower then 130 FOW. We took 3 fish on the 400' copper. Just could not get that to move. I had a great time and could not have asked for anything more :)

A few notes, 1pm to 3pm was very slow fishing we noticed over the last 3 trips we have taken out, lots of wild lake trout that we have been boating, stomachs are full of bait fish.

Here are some pictures. I will try to post a video tomorrow. Good luck to all who fish the lake trout derby this weekend. I won't be fishing until the Niagro Pro/AM.

bob1.jpg

bob2.jpg

boattruck.jpg

NICE Rob!!! thanks for the report. perfect timing as ill be there in the AM. off the next 12 so ill keep you updated. going after kings saturday. later, mark

Wholly crap guys...280 to 350 ft OUT on the dipsys!? How far down do you figure that puts them? I trigged mine out last time, and with 60 lb braided, out 240ft, at 2mph, we figured we were down 128 ft. Just wondering if I should try and run mine out past 250ft or so......

Anyways, I guess we should have stuck to the plan on wed and launched out of Deans cove on Cayuga instead of Severn on Seneca.

Nice fish.

My down speed I tried to keep at 1.9, and that puts my gps at a 2.3 or 2.4. Wire and braid are very different but I would have to say they are pretty close or braid runs deeper cause of the smaller diameter. I keep my inside dipsys

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

I ask because I was told somewhere, that after a certain distance out the dipsys start to lose depth and come back up. Don't know how true that is but, I never ran mine more than 240 ft out.

If you guys are getting down farther by running them out past 240 ft, I'll start giving it a try.

Towing a flasher and fly I won't think that they would be more than a 100' if that. They hit a plateau after a while with the water drag on the wire and such. 180' out is 60' down with a #3 setting on a #1 dipsie. :yes: Sounds like you guys had a fun day. Those lakers can swim fast when they want to.

My down speed I tried to keep at 1.9, and that puts my gps at a 2.3 or 2.4. Wire and braid are very different but I would have to say they are pretty close or braid runs deeper cause of the smaller diameter. I keep my inside dipsys

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Wire runs deeper than braid. I have one dipsy rod with 30 lb braid and two with 50 lb wire and the wire rods always hit bottom before the braid. Probably due to the physical weight of the wire. Standard size divers seem to max out around 90 feet deep at the deepest....unless you run reallllly slow. Magnums will get down deep and at higher speed. If you want to get down to 100 feet while trolling at 2.8 like you would for King Salmon you probably cant do it with standard sized divers in my opinion and experience.

I keep my inside dipsy on a 1 setting and we were on some flats on the north end over 130 fow. Traveling at 1.7mph down speed and bumping bottom with the mag dipsyies. I think we had 340 ft out. But as soon as you speed up that dipsy shoots up maybe 10 15 ft. Its something I been playing around with. I'm guessing here but I would say as soon as you let 300 ft out it don't go down much more unless you slow down. At a normal 2.1 down speed I don't think a mag dipsy can get much past a 110ft.

I forgot to mention we had both inside dipsy's fire off for a double and then one of my outside dipsy's fired off wow. :o I think it pilled 30 ft of line in the matter of seconds and it was off just like that. ;( I had to look to make sure we were still on cayuga :D I had that outside on a 2 setting standard size dipsy with a small spoon 160ft out.

Here is a video I put together. First one.

Yeah guys, using an angle finder and trigging a triangle, I had an angle of approx 33 deg with a hypotenuse length(magnitude) of 235 ft, That figured out to an opposite side of around 128 ft down @ 2 mph GPS. Sorry for the geek speak :$ .....what it boils down to is, with 235 ft out, my dipsy was running 128 ft deep at 2 mph on the gps. Anything farther out and my angle gets shallower, meaning I'm loosing depth. This is running a setting of 3 on a magnum, so I don't necessarily believe the published numbers from Jensen. I'm sure wire and lead core run deeper, I tried lead core once and had trouble getting the dipsy to trip because the line had so much stretch. I'm gonna buy a wire set up and try wire this summer.

Anyways, pretty sure we are gonna launch out of Deans cove on Monday and try running some deep dipsys for those Cayuga lakers. :yes:

I've checked mine with a Fish Hawk DT, mag dipsey on #3 with braid out 300' is down 90'. Out 200' it's down 70'. Good work Rob, I think we will be on Cayuga Sun and Mon out of T-falls.

Kyle