Opinions on I-pilot PDV2

mejeff2

Hey guys

I'm looking for any opinions you might have on the I-pilot PDV2, from anyone that has one, has seen one, tested one, been in a boat with one...anything like that. My fishing partner and I are considering upgrading to something like this.

Although I've read some good reviews, I still have some concerns about how well it holds up in high wind or high current situations.

Any thoughts or opinions would be much appreciated!!!

I have a 55# Ipilot on my 17 foot Mirrocraft. I haven't used it in high winds or current yet but have run it in fairly calm conditions. The cruise control works awesome, the autopilot wanders a little bit but not bad. Have't tried the anchor function or the track function yet. Really like for what I use it for - mostly drifting crawler harnesses on open water. I really like the wireless remote over the foot pedal.

I have the PD70V2 with I Pilot and like it so far. It pulls my 19.5ft Sea Nymph with 3 guys around O.K. Really like the remote vs foot control. We used it on Niagra River and Bar area for the derby and I will say it does not have enough power to pull back upriver for snags but will hold ok in current, and the anchor feature works well.

The Autopilot feature seemed to wonder a bit but I would say we were in extreme conditions with 15-25+ MPH winds and the Niagra River current. Have not tried it under normal conditions or on a smaller lake.

As with my old PD motor it is a little hard to deploy and bring up. Seems to be too tight even with the wd 40 trick.

Over all I like the motor, but should've listened to other's from this site and went with the Terrova 80 or larger. Depending on the boat you're putting it on, you may consider a larger motor. I'll be in the Olcott area over the 4th of July, if you'd like to see how it works shoot me a pm.

Good luck.

Jeff

I have the Terrova 80 with iPilot on my 17' Tracker. It works fine, but you really need to be careful with the with the iPilot if you are fishing rocky shoals in wind and current. There is a lag time in the iPilot that could get you hung up on the rocks if you're not paying attention.

The anchor feature works nice. They say it will keep you within 5' of your anchor. If there is wind or current, expect it to be more like 10-15'.

The remote is advertised as floating and waterproof. Don't believe it. I got caught in a bad storm and had it hanging around my neck. Water got in the unit and I had to disassemble it to dry it out. MinnKota sent me out a new remote and indicated they had a known problem with the rubber gasket in the remote. Be sure to put the remote away if your out in the rain.

The unit isn't deadnuts accurate, but it is a great convenience to have. It really comes in handy when your trying to boat a fish. I just set a course to take the boat away from the shoal and you have the freedom to concentrate on the fish. I also use the autopilot when I'm trolling by myself. Hit the autopilot and throw the gas motor in neutral and you can boat your fish.

Get the biggest motor you can afford. The 80 is fine for my boat, but if I had room for 4 batteries on my boat I would have gone with the 101#.

Thanks for the feedback guys, it's much appreciated. We're running on a 16 foot Legand. Right now we have the motorguide w55, and it pulls the boat around fine, but we're looking for something with a longer shaft, as if we're fighting rollers, or if one of us goes to the back of the boat, it has a tendency to pop out of the water. And maybe something with a little more power, but we don't need anything major.

I kinda want to know all the negatives, so I'm glad to hear some...wouldn't want to get out on the water with it and have too high of an expectation...

I have the PD70V2 with I Pilot and like it so far. It pulls my 19.5ft Sea Nymph with 3 guys around O.K. Really like the remote vs foot control. We used it on Niagra River and Bar area for the derby and I will say it does not have enough power to pull back upriver for snags but will hold ok in current, and the anchor feature works well.

The Autopilot feature seemed to wonder a bit but I would say we were in extreme conditions with 15-25+ MPH winds and the Niagra River current. Have not tried it under normal conditions or on a smaller lake.

As with my old PD motor it is a little hard to deploy and bring up. Seems to be too tight even with the wd 40 trick.

Over all I like the motor, but should've listened to other's from this site and went with the Terrova 80 or larger. Depending on the boat you're putting it on, you may consider a larger motor. I'll be in the Olcott area over the 4th of July, if you'd like to see how it works shoot me a pm.

Good luck.

Jeff

Jeff,try Silicone spray it better than WD40.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the 80 terror with ipilot. This is the best upgrade you can make for duplicating fishing success. I pull my 21 foot boat no problems. The pilot track feature is awesome. Once I hit a hot spot in my drift it's recorded. I then just keep drifting back and forth for about 30 ft. Each way. You crush the school of fish. I've never placed worse than 4th since I've had it. It's a must have.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png