IS EAST LEAST???????????????????????????

The newbie again. First off thanks to everyone who took the time to answer my "trying to learn" question on the 14th. All tips offered were very insightful and should be a huge help. Thanks again. Didnt know these damn fish where so complicated. LOL.

Next question. As a lifetime fisherman on lake erie my experience with east winds is that going out is a complete waste of time. Fishing on erie in an east wind is almost always lousy. Im considering Olcott sunday but the forecast is calling for a NE/ENE wind all day. Should i bother going if the forecast holds up. Thanks again and good luck out there.

This is a copy from another site. Basically two east wind conditions to deal with.

I can recall few days that I had good fishing with a (constant) east wind. What I watch for, however, is the origin of the east wind. Is it constant blow from a low pressure or an approaching high pressure?

Each weather system wind will create a different approach to fishing as well as what to expect for boating conditions.

An east wind from an approaching high pressure isn`t bad, providing the weather front will have Lake Erie centered in the high. High pressure systems always rotate clockwise and soon after the east (mostly northeast) wind ends, it will be good for fishing and boating.

The other east wind is the top of a low pressure system (they always turn counter clockwise), which will wipe out fishing for days and create a constant east wind. The same is true for the lower part of a high pressure; it will blow from the east for days and shut down the fishing. A quick glance at a weather map such as on http://www.weather.com will help in planning a fishing trip.

East is the least! On Lake O the cold water from mid-lake rolls west and will chill water temps. If I had to fish an East wind I would launch at Youngstown not Olcott. Fish will head into the warmer Niagara plume. If you are not marking fish, they are probably high in water column and not registering on the graph. On the east wind the game is often high/low. The cooler temps push active fish high. Conversely, I will find fish over deeper water drop down 200' +++++ and are mostly inactive. Generally, I stay home with an east wind.

I spend a week on lake O every year, (coming from central basin of Erie) last year there was a steady east wind for 3 days before we got to the oak. Let's just say it was a frustrating week. Surface temps of 44 degrees and the rolling lake scattered fish everywhere.

I always link fishing winds to bow hunting October's 50-60 degree days, you can't catch fish or kill deer on the couch. What a cliche.. lol.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

When we have East winds and upwelling, I head offshore until I start to find stable surface temps. I start fishing there and head North until I find fish. It is not a complete waste of time. Some days are good but it just takes more time and effort to find fish. Fishing for me is about the challenge. Those tough days can be some of the best days. You challenge yourself and you LEARN something.