c map chip

adam2000

C-Map and Navionics are not compatible with each other.If your unit runs C-Map it won't take a navionics card.

I run a C-Map in my Northstar plotter and am very happy with it.I have the xtra large card for the Great Lakes and Maritimes.

If you have specific questions regarding anything relating to C-Map like which card to get or which card will fit your unit,Give Jeppesen a call.They are owned by Boeing

their phone # is 508-477-8010

They have a new fish hot spot chart(not sure if it covers the Gt.Lakes) at this sitehttp://www.jeppesen.com/marine/ligh ... ishing.jsp

Their regular site is http://www.jeppesen.com/marine/lightmar ... tactus.jsp

They are great to deal with.

I have a c map chip in my standard horizon 150. Do they only take cmap chips? Can I get a navionics cmap chip? The one I have doesn't show much detailing

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Adam 2000,

Yes, Standard Horizon only takes a Cmap chart. Right now, the only plotter unit on the market that is "Dual Fuel" (able to run two competing chart companies) is GeoNav, a newcomer to the US but formerly owned by the current owner of Navionics. GeoNav is a prominent name in Europe. Anyway, You are stuck with Cmap. Like most map companies, bathymetric readings vary depending upon the chart your purchase. For example, The Navionics HotMaps Origina at $99l does not have as many contours and lakes as our HotMaps Premium chart that costs $150. Cmap works the same way. Then, there are maps that come built into the unit. We call those imbedded maps and they are watered down maps with older data and the quality is not so great when compared to using survey boats and getting a true bottom reading. The get the best detail on any map, buy the best chip and the latest chip out.

Chris Gatley,

thanks for the good info.I have a question that maybe you can answer.I spoke to a tech at C-Map Jeppesen,and told him that the detail on my C-Map doesn't seem as good as on the Navionics charts.(I'm running the NT-Max card $199.00)

He told me something along the lines that all charts no matter which brand, are taken from Noaa marine charts,and that it's likely that I can get more detail by going into the setup screen on my plotter and making some changes.

He gave me the tech phone # and said to call when I'm on the boat and they could help talk me through it. I'm running a Northstar 660 explorer with the NT Max card.

Is there some truth to this? Overall, I'm happy with it and the sonar function is awesome.

I would however like a bit more chart detail on depth lines then I currently have.I know they are your competitor but do you think I could gain more detail by changing some info in the setup menu?

I will say that they have been very nice to deal with.

Any info is appreciated Thanks

Big Easy,

1. Marine charts are different than inland lake maps and yes, marine charts for Lake Ontario are based off NOAA data. But, competition in the marketplace and consumer demand forces some companies to build better maps by sourcing new and better data. For example, when it comes to contouring and detail on Lake Ontario, NO One can touch Navionics. Not CMAP, not imbedded maps on Lowrance and not Fishing Hot Spots. Even our Gold chart is not as contour detailed as our Fish'N Chip. What's more, I now have in place full time guides around the lake that take sonar logs so that we can build better maps and tighten things up. In key harbors such as Oswego, It matters and over time, my sonar tracks will make for better mapping along the dredged channel (that has to be left clean on a map).

2. I would suggest turning on and off certain layers on your Standard Horizon plotter and see what happens. I do not have much experience with that plotter. I would guess that it is like Raymarine or Lowrance where you can turn certain layers on to access more detailed contouring. But, keep in mind that your chart has to be able to deliver that type of content.

3. Constantly check for any software updates.These correct bugs in the system and in the case of mapping speed up the redraw speed of the chart. They can be found on the Raymarine, Standard Horizon, Lowrance etc... website.

Hope that helps