advice on VHF radios

dremarquis

Hello All,

Now that i'm heading out on lake ontario, i need to get a VHF radio. Because i have a small (16') boat, i don't have good spot to mount one, so i was thinking about getting a handheld VHF.

Do ya'll recommend or caution against the handheld VHF radios?

Before i make my purchase, are there certain features, brands etc. that you recommend.

many thanks,

andre

Be advised that a handheld radio has only 5 or 6 watts of power

whereas the normal radio has 25 or so watts of power. That being

said, your range is probably 2 or 3 miles with HH 20 to 25 miles with the other. As far as brands go they are pretty much all the same, some have more features than others ie scanning,dsc etc.

Same as what Sybill wrote. Get yourself a fixed mount radio,you'll be much better off,and thay are pretty cheap today.They are very small and take up hardly any space,so you should be able to find room on your boat for it.

If you don't have the space for an eight foot antenna, get the 36" stainless antenna with the coil.It receives and transmits over much greater distances than a handheld,and almost comes close to the range of an eight foot model.

You can pick up a decent Vhf for around a hundred bucks,or even less if you shop around.Check out the bargin bins on sites like boaters world,west marine,cabelas etc.

River marine in florida has a standard horizon quest for $99.00 it's a super radio for the money.www.rivermarinesupply.com.

A good vhf is an important piece of safety equipment,and almost as important as a good life jacket.You also get the benefit of hearing fishin reports,and what others are getting fish on.

The coastguard can hear ya from a lot further away than another boat,also with a handheld most are water resistent if ya take the big one over the bow you can transmit without your boat,thats reason enuf to get one plus you can monintor more channels ,and listen in from your car and get weather info on the way to the water ,,i would get the permanent one but a handheld is 100 times better than nutin specially in a emergency,not to mention on those family days near the water you can bring the hand held along to keep you focused on the important things in life like the fishing report..................

I have a Standard Horizon handheld that is submersible and has some of the bells and whistles, cost about $100.00. I look at the handheld in terms of safety only - CG can pick up distress signals a LONG way off even at a low power transmission. If you do go down or overboard the submersible radio will still operate. That being said you need to have it close by in case of an emergency.

I have not yet picked up a fixed mount VHF but that's on "the list" of upgrades. I also fish Lake O. but once or twice a year and on Cayuga L. it's not a necessity, than handheld is plenty.

DAN