Fish Hawk / Q4 probe

Very frustrated here.

I purchase the FishHawk 4 years(with the old style black probe) a go and it never worked well from day one.

Of coarse the typical fluctuation, blank lines, ect.... issues at the ball temp that we all have experienced.

I purchased the Q4 clear probe and it did not help. I now get a few seconds of high / low temps then the continuous 4 degree rading at the ball. I turn the gain by 1/2 turn with no change.

Does not make sense. I have tried adjusting the gain with no success. I have adjusted the gain so much at this point that I know it is out of factory settings and need to start from scratch I guess. The manual says to turn the knob 20 turns CW and 6 CCW , ect.......I know the unit is out of wack.

I have tried everything

1) my new prob is working since it is blinking red every 5 seconds

2) my receiver is reading surface temp and speed okay

3) I have the unit tied directly to a seconday battery not tied to my motors

4) I have taken the receiver / display off the brackets and moved it away from my GPS/sonar.

5) I have totally shut off all electronics and the boat and dropped by ball down with the sale _ _ _ or 4.00 reading.

Does anyone give me suggestions on how to set it back to factory settings, suggestions ?

Has anyone ever sent the sensor / probe and display back to the factory for service and to check out the unit?

If so ..where to? Factory guys are not much help! They hige you the old swap units with someone else, ect..... that is very difficult to do because I don't know of a close friend that I am able to do this or take time out.

How is the factory able to check out the system?

Thank you in advace gentlemen.

Marty

Hello Mortigan, Yes, the transducer is on the other side of the transducer. I have also tuned off all other electronics and tried to get to read while floating.

I have also tried tilying my transducer toward the blowback of the ball.

still cratching my head here

I am at the point of possibly just buying the new displat for $300...but I am afraid to do that and waste money if that is not the problem. I wonder if the manufacturer can help me here?

I broke down and spent the bucks for the new x4 probe last weekend I'm using the old 840 fishhawk also and was tired with the old black probe not working right I never did get to work past 60ft.

All I can say is that the new probe was a god send, it worked for me right out of the box, I hope you find out whats wrong because its really nice when your 150 down and picking up your temps and speeds.