Lead core change over time?

Mower

Does lead core break down over time? Reason I ask is I have been going over my logs from this past year and the lead core I have fished for the last 5years was dramatically out performed by the new lead core. Both are 10 colors and often run the same lure if something is working. I have switched them to opposite sides of the boat off the big boards. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

John

It does change and breakdown, but not in the way you are thinking. The change would be in strength, as it seems to "rot" from being wet/dry and in the Sun over time. This would not cause it to "fish" any different though.

My guess is that the two different setups have a different leader length, material,or LB test. Check that closely.

V. I agree with everything you mentioned. These rods are rigged exactly the same, I am meticulous about this. The only place I can think there is an inconsistency is possibly the amount of backing. Another thought is the sheath on the older lead core is obviously faded and possibly the more worn equals more flexible so it runs through the water differently?

Mower.....the older ,faded leadcore won't fish differently than your new leadcore,as Vince said....as long as it is the same brand and pound test leadcore. Could your old leadcore be a little shorter by a half color or more from making repair splices over the years ? If you have made repair splices in the first few colors, that could be the difference in productivity. I have a "full" core that is a little short due to repairs. I have to remember to compensate ,and let out a little more line. You can test your old core to make sure it has not worn out or rotted to weaken it too much. Try cutting the leadcore,stripping the lead back a ways , then pull hard on the sheath, or knot the 2 sheaths together, and pull.....if 27 lb. sheath breaks easily,get rid of the worn out, rotted colors. .......steve