going to black river bay

bonez

Can you help.... i'm going to black river bay and chamont bay for the first time this tuesday i would like to find the best ways and areas to fish this and also what to use.... we are going for any sport fish we can hook but our main focus will be on PIKE, BASS, AND WALLEYE.... any help would be great... also baest place to put in the 19 foot .......

................................................THANKS

Bonez,

I can't answer all of your questions, but the two launches in the area are at Dexter on river at the Rte 180 bridge, and Sacketts Harbor near the mouth of the bay. There is a well stocked tackle shop next to the launch in Dexter and they have always been helpful. The LM bass and Northern fishing is okay in the river and around the mouth. Smallies are usually further out into the bay. My limited experience with (successful) walleye fishing in the Bay/River has been at night. Maybe someone with more local knowledge will pipe up.

there is a state launch just outside of the north end of chaumont. left turn off of rt. 12 when heading north just past the auto parts store. for smallmouth try in the mouth of the chaumont river under the bridge or the south end of cherry island. pike will be in the deep edges of weedbeds. try "the carrying place" on the southwest side of the bay ant target 18 f.o.w. Don't hold your breath for walleye. there are also good pike weedbeads in front of the campground on the south end of the bay. troll spoons or cast in weedbeads. Good luck

chris