Bay of Quinte - October 31st - Trick or Treat Fishing

With the weather forecast of south 10kph winds, Laker John and I decided to hit the water on the 31st, was it a Halloween omen?????

Launching at Shermans, we decided that we had best check out the deep water east of the ferry, starting to troll at 0830, we trolled along with 3-4 boats towards Keith Shoal, fishing the north side firts and crossing over to fish down wind on the south side. We changed out lures every 30 minutes or so to insure we might detect some preference.

Finally, the inner board fired and I grabbed the rod and WHAT a pull, perhaps it was Mrs 15lber?????? Even at 100' of line I couldn't move the fish and it took lots of line......Slowly the rod did its job and the fish relented toward the net. Then a glimpse of the fish and SHEEPSHEAD- D'ohhhhhhhhh

We didn't weight it or take a picture, but the fish was in the 12-14lbs range, they sure can pull hard. They are good experience if you haven't had much experience fishing large fish as they will test you and your equipment. - Rapala TDD11 Eriedescent(sp).

We had another strike on the same board, but as Laker John to reel in, the line went dead- we're 1 for 2.

Resetting the lines we continued and on a inward turn, the board fired again, Laker John took the rod and he was tested as was the equipment and the net slide under another Sheepy - about the same as the first...... Same Lure.....

We continued to troll to the ferry with nothing to show for our efforts. We left Adolphus Reach and headed for the confines of some leeward shores. We set out the rods and began our lunch and we had a strike with no hook up - Dang 2 for 4.

Eating our lunch and trolling is ok until the rod fires and then Action Stations!!!!!!!!, John gotthe net and got the planer board off and I slowly reeled, OH OH - I Said, Felling like those other ones from the morning, just a dead weight taking some drag , but the headshakes were different, Finally the fish was at the boat and John yelled, she's a monster. Into the net she went and handshakes of congratulations. Dug the scale out and she tipped in at 12 lb even. This one was on a CC Shad...

IMG_1840-12lber-4x6.jpg

We're not skunked in the walleye dept. The lines were reset and we trolled about five minutes and board fired again, Laker John took the rod and he felt sure this was a walleye and sure enough, we saw a nice keeper walleye come to the surface and into the net. This one was eyeballed at 3.5lbs. Same Lure

IMG_1843-John-35lbs-4x6.jpg

Our day was complete as we had landed a pair of eyes and one was a quality sized fish and one was table fare - everyone's happy.

We had spent a long day on the water and we were able to land a couple eyes. The Halloween fishing had given us some tricks and some treats.

Looking forward to Nov 12th for the Shermans Point Derby in support of the Kingston and Napanee Hospitals.

Stay Tuned

David aka Superdad