91 Sea Ray Sundancer 22' or 93 Bayliner 2452 Hardtop

King Slammin

I'm having a hard time with this. I like the cuddy styles on both boats (very important in my wife approving of the boat purchase) however not sure which would be better to set up for Salmon fishing. I want to run 4 downriggers, 2 dipseys, and Lead off the back at times. May end up with planer reels in the future for those staging fish or trips to Erie. The Searay will set me back a couple grand more. Is either one easier to work with when wiring? I've heard that Sea Rays are better boats. Any input appreciated.

In my opinion, you have missed some important details regarding choosing a Salmon trolling boat on Lake Ontario specifically. The depth of the "V" of the boat, amount of deck space, engine doghouse obstruction, gunwale width and length for the downriggers, and the engine/drive package. The wiring of either boat will be similarly difficult, as neither is set up for fishing from the factory, otherwise it is a non-issue. Sea-Ray has always made a quality boat, and you paid for it. Bayliners historically were a lower price point boat, and it usually was obvious after a few years of use. Engines were usually undersized for the application to save cost. They also made a few absolute tanks, such as the 2860 I have. I believe the Bayliner will offer better deck space and gunwale provisions for riggers. I believe that model of Sea-Ray has a molded-in swim platform? If so, it can be a hindrance for netting fish, and you may also need long booms on your riggers. The hardtop on the Bayliner makes it nice for adding rocket launchers, masts, radar, etc. To me, the final decision may come down to engine / drive package. And it always helps to have the boat surveyed. Its just cheap insurance.

They are both very similar in aspect of deck space. The Sea Ray has a fold up bench seat in back. Both have very similar cabin/ cuddy set up. It looks like the bayliner is more suited for fishing, but I have seen some nice Sea Ray's set up. I guess it comes down to is $2000 more for the Sea Ray worth it?

I wouldnt put the bayliner in the same bracket as a Searay as far as quality or ride. Nothing wrong with a bayliner I just think the searay is a far superior hull. I would go searay.

I would agree with you if it were an Amberjack, but between a Sundancer and the Bayliner Hardtop for a trolling rig, Personally I'd take the Bayliner any day of the week.

Tim

I wouldnt put the bayliner in the same bracket as a Searay as far as quality or ride. Nothing wrong with a bayliner I just think the searay is a far superior hull. I would go searay.

I would agree with you if it were an Amberjack, but between a Sundancer and the Bayliner Hardtop for a trolling rig, Personally I'd take the Bayliner any day of the week.

Tim

I agree with Tim!

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this post is still getting any attention..........

Im pretty sure by 91, Brunswick was owning both Searay and Bayliner. and the hulls came from the same

plant. IMHO, quality came down on the SR and went up on the BL.