Auto Pilot

dgm43

I am looking to add an auto pilot to my 21 footer with hydralic steering. I just want to use it for trolling, not cross lake trips. What unit to people have good experience with. The primary feature I am looking for is the ability to maintain course at slow speeds into the wind.

My Mink

Auto-pilots are made to control either kicker or main motors. You need to get one specific for your purpose and motor.

I own a Garmin TR1 Gold for my 9.9 kicker and I love it (unit is for motors up to 15 hp, different unit for larger motors). Fittings are specific for different brands of motors. Mine is a hydraulic unit, but the steering pump is not powerful enough to work the 135 hp main motor. I have to make sure the kicker is not connected to the main motor during use (I keep them connected while running so the kicker is not bouncing from side to side) or I'll burn out the pump. It has many trolling patterns programmed in (straight, zig-zag, steps, circles, MOB), all of which compensate for wind and wave distortions to stay on course. A press of a button changes the desired pattern and a different button press increases/decreases throttle speed. Trolling Solutions.com is where I purchased mine because of price.

Others will prefer different brands and hopefully will give you their opinions. Bottom line is you need to decide what motor you will control and how you want to control it. No matter what you choose, it's going to be expensive!