Motor Question!

Danno,

The fin is calle dthe skeg and according to my mechanic you can take it right off even with the bottom of the housing. Alot of the bass boat guys remove this. I don't know it's function but when I bent mine backing into my driveway (forgot to trim motor up :$ ) he told me that information. However they heated it and staightened it instead of removing it as the bend wasn't that bad. He did also say that in trying to straighten it it might break instead of bend and the he would have just cut it off.

I would try the new prop, either way you have to buy one. The skeg can be welded or they sell guards you could bolt on (check Cabels or Bass Pro). If you have insurance (I'm assuming you don't), I would submit it & get new lower unit. If I didn't have insurance the above is what I would do.

Guest Jekyll

Lucky you. I just faxed off a $4300 repair quote to my insurance co. for my lower unit. Whacked a rock in Canada at 40 mph. Hit at the front of the skeg and it took it clean off. Regretably, it opened up the case 7" by 1". I left a nice oil slick to mark the spot.

The irony, 2 days earlier, I kissed another rock doing about 25 and broke of the trailing edge and bent the skeg. At the time I was looking at a about a $150 bill for the skeg rapair plus a prop reconditioning. I should have left well-enough alone. We decided to stay an extra day and that is when I whacked it good.

Salmon fishing must wait for the repair, woe-is-me.

Jekyll