Rod Holders

WNY Tony

I am looking to add some nice quality rod holders onto my recently purchased 17' starcraft. I am new to trolling, and experienced a failure yesterday on a Cabela's Quick-draw plastic Rod holder. It was definitely driven by operator error as it snapped when I got snagged (drag was too tight, but my leader was 10 lb fluoro, and expected that to fail before the rod holder).

Lesson learned, need stronger equipment. I am looking for the best bang for the buck for something that could be used for planers, flat-lining, and downriggers. I may end up getting into some dipsy diver setups, but again, I am new to this sport, and don't want to limit my options moving forward.

I have read some very mixed reviews on the Tite-Lok brand, and also seen more consistent positive feedback on the Big Jon rod holders. Clearly it appears that there are some holders in the $100+ range each (Cisco's, etc), and that might be where I have to go, but I was looking for some suggestions or feedback about the Big Jon's or any other all-metal rod holders in the $50-$60 range each. Am I going to regret not going all-out on these?

Also looking for some suggestions on proper setups for a max of 6 rods on a 17' aluminum boat (i.e. where along the gunwale should I place them for my stated applications). My downriggers have a rod holder on them as well, but outside of those, I am looking to start fresh. The only constraint that I have for setup is that I want something that I can have another base for in teh front of the boat so that when I am bass fishing on my casting deck, I have a rod holder up there as well.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Get the Tite-Loks if you are looking for the best bang for the buck. They have seperate bases so you can mount one up front for bass fishing then just move the holder from the back. If money is no object, big jons ratchet holders are built like tanks. I use the Tite-loks.

We just added Titelock triples to an 18ft Starcraft. Make sure the mounting point you choose will give you enough separation from the riggers to get at everything when running fully loaded and net a fish from the side if needed.

TiteLoks .... not sure where the negative feedback comes with these. Never experienced a failure and they are affordable.

If you got the $$$$$$ then go with Traxtech, pricey but worth the money, I have some Traxtech stuff also and it is top notch.