seneca

Hi folks,

I have had a couple of short trips in my little winter boat and have'nt caught much. Last November I had some of the best trips ever for LLs and could'nt keep them off the rigs. What happened? Where did they all go? Actually I saw hundreds of LLs of all sizes swimming by my boat lift in very shallow water (3-15 feet), chasing saw bellies, and sadly also saw quite a few lamprey eels hanging off the fish. The eels looked smallish (8-10 inches) so that evidence probably points to DEC neglect some measured number of years ago. I also saw several fly fishermen, with professional equipment casting from shore in their waders and they were catching the hell out of the salmon with streamer flys. These guys were not locals (I did not ask where they were from) but have been doing this kind of fishing on Seneca for a few years. They were quite carefully putting all of the fish back unharmed and were having a great time.

In that regard, I have been enjoying fishing a lot more having switched to much lighter tackle and the folks that charter with me seem to enjoy the sport of lighter tackle as well. It is more fun and a lot easier to handle the lighter, shorter rods and reels especially if 4 or 5 folks are fishing at once. To tell the truth, I was getting bored with cranking 3-6 pound fish in on what is esentially salt water tackle. It is a problem when the fleas get active because of the need for flea flicker or 20+lb test line but I managed OK last year with the heavy line on light rods and reels. I cannot use the big dipsey's either but am able to fish the smaller ones on light wire or braid.

Last year, I was having what I percieved as better catches with 8 lb floro and 2 inch spoons. It's not a recommendation to any ones's fishing technique, but I am enjoying it more. A 3 lb salmon becomes a bit of a thrill on lighter tackle. I am going to post all of my heavy stuff on the classified section as soon as I get it all sorted out. I have some real nice stuff for sale soon and very good for the big Lakes. If I fish Ontario I usually go with a charter anyway.

I had a chance to talk to the owner of the ProTroll operation (nice guy and a very knowledgable fisherman) and he convinced me that the "e-chip" setup will catch more fish. They have discovered that the chip on the flasher/spinner may not be the best setup because the fish, especially lakers, actually go for the chip. I recently rigged a dozen spoons and flies with the chip mounted on the hooks with shrink wrap and well see how it works out this season.

The lake is way too clear for easy fishing but maybe some rain is on the way.

I am doing charters and do as many sightseeing tours as fishing, and that's OK because it is easier all around and if they pay for a boat ride they get what they paid for. If the fish are scarce the folks get a little grumpy and I don't blame them. Seneca is tough some days...lots of water and the fish have tails as my buddy says. I keep my boat (27 foot Eastern) in front of the new hotel in Watkins Glen, and can be reached at 800-597-0688.

Best of luck to all the guys and gals on this thread, and I am sure to see you on the water.

cheers,

Andrew

AC, your statement regarding lamprey eels "that evidence probably points to DEC neglect" bothers me.

In recent years DEC has been hit with budget cuts, inadequate staffing and a lack of cooperation from some members of the general public. From what I have seen, the fisheries people (those that are left) are doing the best they can.

DEC is NOT allowed to treat some sections of Catherine Creek with lampracide simpy because they are denied access by landowners. No wonder we have eels.

Hopefully the lamprey barrier installed on lower Catherine Creek by DEC and the Finger Lakes Trollers will deny access the lampreys to miles of prime lamprey spawning/nursury areas.

Yes indeed, " DEC neglect" is the wrong word. I understand there are many, many factors involved, not the least of which is lack of state funds. Last fall we caught a lot of fish in Oct and Nov and saw very few eels and eel marks, so it was a big disappointment to see so many this year.

60 years ago, when we were little kids, we used to get a nickle apiece for eels delivered to Bill Newton's bait shop in Montour Falls. The spawning eels were huge in those days (I have never seen them that big in recent years) and we took most of them out of the Glen Creek in early summer with spears, ball bats, nets and by kicking them out of the creek. The kids in Montour would do the same thing in Catherine Creek. We would walk to Montour on the railroad tracks with the eels in burlap bags and old Bill would count them out and pay the bounty. I earned enough money for a new Bach Brown spinning reel which cost $20 dollars or so, and was my prized posession for many years.

I think that program was funded locally by interested sportsmen without DEC involvement. I suspect it was an effective project because it went after the big "breeders" but probably not feasible in the modern world. It would be hard to find a bunch of kids willing to kill eels for a nickle each. And also would be considered a politically incorrect activity for kids. The eels always disgusted me and I went after them with gusto, as did my friends.

The eels in those days would go upstream after the Lake Sucker run which is another story of days gone by. I cannot properly describe how many large suckers would run the Glen Creek, after the Rainbow run, but it was certainly many thousand, and hell was out for noon with all the kids clubbing and snatching them. People would come from out of town to buy bags of them. Someone said that they pickled them and they were very tasty done that way. I don't see the suckers anymore and wonder what become of them.