where is the beef

I think most run 48" - 72" behind the flasher. I like 48", no twinkies, but many run a 3 fly rig at 72". Distance behind your cannon ball is also important. I start early morning with 8-10 ft behind the cannon ball, sometimes even closer(6 ft), & will increase that lead to 15 ft. once the shorter lead stops firing, & then a little longer(25 ft) for mid day. However, if I see fish streaking up to the cannon ball, I'll go back to a short lead. Works for me. I hope this helps, & will at least give you a starting point.

Sometimes I can't help myself ;) I like shorter leads 4' in the spring. Than longer leads as the season moves toward Fall. You want the bait head to spin in a corkscrew ,not spin head first. You bend the little tab on the back of the bait head to get the right spin. When you change the cut bait you have to recheck it ,because the fillets arn't the same. If you don't catch anything ,atleast you will smell like you did. :lol: I put it as the lowest lure in the set. Good Luck :yes::yes:

it depends on whether you are targeting size or numbers. Back before VHS when the Rys Davis Herring Strips were available and I was running meat a lot more, it seemed like the shorter leads took more fish, but they would be smaller kings, steelhead, coho etc. If you were specifically targeting big mature kings, the 72" leads worked better, less bites, but bigger fish.

We'd also cut the number of lines in the water way down. In the late august/fall derby time frame, we'd usually only have 2 lines in the water, with cut bait on each rigger with a minimum of 15' of separation and leads of 15' and 25'. More stuff in the water seemed to decrease the number of hits so no divers or other junk lines and when you had em tuned and running right, 2 lines was enough to keep you busy.

I haven't played with it much in recent years with the general lack of availability of quality cut bait, but I now have a bunch of rocketman's MC Rockets (fake bait strips) I'm planning on spending some more time this year playing with it again. The thin strip of aluminum inside the rubber imitation meat strip makes then a piece of cake to tune to roll properly.

I've also had some really good luck with the Familiar Bite Whole Alewives in recent years, but they are a little trickier to get properly tuned than the old cut bait heads and herring strips were.

Tim

You can catch a couple of fish of a single strip, The whole bait is good for one hit, but it usuallly a good one, the Anchovies worked well also. Its is amazing how big the mouth is on one of those.