safe distance to mount VHF antenna on a 16' boat

dremarquis

I just received my fixed-mount Cobra VHF radio and i bought an 8' antenna for it. As i was reading through the operating manual, it stated:

1. to avoid excessive exposure to (electromagnetic) radio frequency (RF) energy, that the antenna must be mounted a minimum of 10 feet from all people (noone should be within a 10' radius of the antenna while it is transmitting.) While my seat in the back of my 16' boat is more than 10' from the front of the boat, if i have a friend along, there is nowhere in my boat that is 10' away from both of us.

2. even more difficult for me to achieve would be the manual's instructions that "the antenna must be mounted so that its LOWEST point is at least 3.3' vertically above the heads of all personal during radio transmissions." Again, i know how easy that would be to achieve on the large boats that have different levels/decks, but on my simply, v-hull aluminum boat, i would have to mount some very weird looking extension upon which to mount the antenna in order to comply with the safety requirements in the manual.

do ya'll have any advice for me on the 2 points above? is the manual being overly cautious or is it very important that i comply with those 2 points?

many thanks (i want to be safe),

andre

Andre,

Temporarily mount your antenna somwhere between you & your fishing partner. Try transmitting while night fishing. When you transmit observe your partner. If he lights up like like one of those Halloween skeleton costumes, then you have a problem.

;)

Unless of course you have a 100,000 watt clear channel transmitter, then I wouldn't try that and I'd go strictly by the instructions.

Seriously though, Ray K didn't pay any attention to those instructions and there's nothing wrong with him. (sorry Ray, couldn't resist it) :lol: :roll:

Really seriously though, just don't transmitt without the antenna attached.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

dre,

I can't advise you to mount it or not. I can only state my personal opinon which is that the company is being overly cautious. I run an 8 ft antenna on my 18 ft aluminum boat as do many other guys. When I stand, the base is at butt level and it's just on the passenger side of my boat. It is impossible on any of the boats I've seen to have the base 3 ft above every ones head. (except ragboats & the Stephen B. Roman)

Tom B.

(LongLine)