fishing cayuga 4/16 from a kayak- NEED advice please?

Hello,

I was hoping someone would be kind enough to give me some much needed Lake Cayuga fishing advice. Me and a good friend are going kayak fishing this coming Monday on cayuga lake. We have both fished before but we have little experience with large lakes. I have read alot on this forum about people trolling but we only have our kayaks so I don't think that is very feasible.

We are not targeting any specific species, since we don't really know what is available this time of year. So any advice would be so great, because i am afraid we will get there on Monday and have no idea what we are doing.

thanks,

rob

I don't know if you can or not but if can throw your kayaks in the water at Ithaca's Yaht club on the west shore or right at treman but you will paddle a little ways and be exposed to a north wind if its bad out. The entire west shore line is awesome and is protected from the wind even when its gets real bad out. I was there a few weeks ago jigging with the ultra light rods with a small jig head and gulp flat head minnow plastic bait. We were pounding the LL salmon. Good fight as well. I know a lot of guys who troll with their kayaks. You can do the same with the setup I mentioned or use some stick baits as well. Drifting is effective as well. Perch fishing is really good too on the south end on the flats. Anywhere from 10 to 30 ft of water, but they can be hard to find. When you do find them throw a marker in the water so you can stay on them. This time of year it is non stop action. Im not really sure where you want to fish on cayuga but if you need more info or other good spots on Cayuga, PM me. Good luck.

As the guys said watch the weather. I got out in my kayak this winter and fished t-falls to scout camp. I trolled spoons on leadcore. I got 6 or so LL salmon and one brown around 6lbs in full spawning colors that spit the hook right at the boat. T-falls point can give you a sheltered place from a north wind. Kayak stealth lends for some great fishing. I have 4 rod holders on my yak and have fished all over the state with it. If you troll next to shore with stick baits you should catch fish. Keep an eye on the wind. South wind fish south end , north wind fish the bay south of T-falls by the swimming area. Have fun! Wes

I should have asked first if you were set up to troll. You can cast heavy spoons like little cleo's, stickbaits or even spinners like panther martin or use a flyrod with a streamer. This time of year you can catch fish at all depths but look places were the food is. In a normal year streams wash food into the lake this year the streams are low and clear. You can also jig with tube jigs. Large white ones I have been told work best. Many people catch lakers this way. Drop the jig to the bottom and then crank it up as fast as you can. Some fish do not take the untill the bait is almost to the surface.

Wes