Nube

Hey everyone. Not much to introduce about myself. I love fishing like everyone else here. I live in Saratoga. And walleye is my target.

Question: I own a 16' Starcraft with a 40hp motor. I'm pretty sure I can't go on the main lake with this boat, but would I be safe in Chaumont Bay? I've never been to LO before, but my new in-laws own a vacation home not too far from there.

Welcome to the site HLS. I own a 16 footer & used to fish Lake O with it till I got a 22'. The 16 can be used, but it is very weather dependent.. I wouldn't attempt the lake with more then 1-2 footers. Be safe and have fun.

Thanks for the reply MB. Just to clarify. Are you talking about the bays or the main lake is safe with 1-2 footers. I have no motivation to hit the main lake with this boat. Are the bays safe from the waves for the most part, or are they just as weather dependent? I'm pretty much looking at Chaumont Bay. It seems like its protected very well.

Thanks for the reply MB. Just to clarify. Are you talking about the bays or the main lake is safe with 1-2 footers. I have no motivation to hit the main lake with this boat. Are the bays safe from the waves for the most part, or are they just as weather dependent? I'm pretty much looking at Chaumont Bay. It seems like its protected very well.

Chaumont Bay CAN be very "wet & wild" at times. Watch the forecast and use your best judgement. There's some nice bass, walleye, and northern pike fishing in that area and reports are posted by experienced members of this site. Do some reading here and try to learn as much as you can. Folks here are more than willing to help. Good luck and good fishing. ;)

My family summered on Chaumont Bay when I was growing up. I spent all summer in a 12 foot run about with a 10 horse. Waves can get big when the wind picks up but I could figure out when to come in when I was 12. Have fun. Funny thing about waves and small boats, the bigger the better sometimes because of the longer dwell. Its the short dwell and breaking white caps that cause problems.

Jekyll