Boat recommendations for first boat

cdelong

I'm in the market for my first boat. I don't just want a fishing boat, but cruising and pleasure also.

I've come across a 2003 16' Starcraft 1600 that looks like it just rolled off the production line. It has a 60HP Mercury that is oil injected. The boat has about 40 hours on it. The hull, floor, and interior are immaculate as is the trailer. Does not seem to have a lot of options- just the basics.... nice gauge package, ladder, hydraulic trim/lift. The boat does not have a livewell or any depth/fish finders.

I have gotten the seller to $8500. Does that seem to be a good deal?

Thanks

Just my personal preference, for that kind of money I'd opt for a bigger boat. There's some nice deals coming up this fall with guys that don't want to store for the winter. Keep your eyes open and DON'T SETTLE just to own a boat. Consider what kind of fishing you will be doing and how often. Good luck on your quest & let us know how you did. ;)

I can't go too big...... I'm just going to be using my minivan for towing. I think 18' (~3500#) is about the max I can go with my vehicle- 1998 Venture.

I plan on fishing as much as possible and I'm relocating to FL next spring. I've heard it's best to buy one up north away from the saltwater and bring it down south.

I've looked at a few older boats (late 80's early 90's) in the $3- $5K range and I'm kinda disappointed in what I'm seeing.

The BlueBook on the boat is $9400 in average condition. This one is in excellent condition.