canadice 5/1

fished canadice solo today and boated ten lakers, lost about five. Found some hungry fish in the southwest portion of the lake in 80 ft of water. All fish came off a down rigger and some assorted white spoons 10ft or so off the bottom.

s2v13k.jpg

one that went home to try and smoke, if anyone has some good recipes for smoking these things I'd love to hear them

Yup ripped his lip lol, I kept losing fish so I cranked up the pressure on my blacks downrigger release so my rod was bent real good, didn't miss many fisn after that haha. Question, do you guys ever run braid on your downrigger poles or just mono? I'm using ten pound big game and its real stretchy.

Did 7 more lakers today as well on canadice. Time to start switchin gears for the walleye though

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Have you had past experience with 'eyes in Canadice? I know they've got some big ones in Hemlock....

Never had luck on Canadice or hemlock for eyes. I haven't heard of a canadice eye but I know there are some slobs in hemlock. I fish honeoye for eyes

Braid works great on riggers. We do not run it because of spiny water fleas in Cayuga . Low stretch means good hook sets and less blow back. As far as cooking lakers I am not much for smoked lake trout but love them cooked on the grill. Keep your fish on ice from the time you land them. We marinade for 30 minutes in lemon garlic marinade. Make a foil boat to place fish in leaving the top open. sprinkle some raw suger or brown suger over the top of the fillet and place on grill turning fish one time total cook time is less than 6 or 8 minutes. If my dill is up in the garden I put some dill weed on as well. I only cook on charcoal and add a few pieces of apple wood to give a slight smoke taste Wes

Thanks quality, I grilled a17 incher I got yesterday up last night with some lemon, butter and cajun seasoning and it was surprisingly tasty. As for the braid question, I only fish canadice and hemlock do they have fleas as bad as the bigger lakes? And what size/brand would you reccomend?

Thanks again to all you guys, you have been awesome with answering all my rookie questions and I greatly appreciate it

I do not fish those lakes so I'm not sure about the fleas. I use 30lb. power pro and 8 or 10lb fluro leader. If those lakes are real clear water the lighter the better. If your drag is set correct you should almost never break your line. Much of the tackle these days are made in china and we have had snap swivels and split rings fail. That would never had happened 30 years ago. I try to stick with made in usa stuff and it cost much more but saves you from breaking off on a big fish. Drag should be set around 40% of line breaking strength. A good way to test is tie on a 4 lb weight with the weight on the floor lift your rod a tighten the drag untill you can just lift the weight. After some trial and error you will be able to set the drag by feel. Super braid has no stretch so the only give you have is the fluro leader and the drag. To test terminal tackle if you use 10lb leader tie on 10lb weight to swivel or split ring and lift to see if they hold. I was surprized at brands that will not hold up. As far as marinade try State fair or Salimida, you can get two batchs from one bottle. Wes

You won't have any trouble with fleas on Canadice er Hemlock. They may be there but not heavy like the bigger lakes. Never had a problem with any build up. no walleyes in Canadice,in Hemlock giants lerk but not in big numbers.

Man I would buy 1 spool of 1000feet of the mason 7 strand for pulling dipseys, thats enough for 2 rods on the smaller lakes!!

No stretch it cuts deeper faster , I've cought several lakers and browns on the wire dipsey rigs in the 2 lakes.

The braid may be cheaper but I have a wire dipsey rig that boated 3 kings in the fall tournament in 2006 and still working fine.

Banged a laker this morn in 80 over 90 bout 6 pounds. Came home for the grill. Hit 3 others but lost em all. one laker off the rigger. Two others were browns or bows 50 down over 90. May have had LL off a stick but it was gone as soon as it struck. Post a pic later. On the LOU board now in class. HAHAH!

Once again guys all this info is a huge help. I trolled the south end of hemlock and landed 3 decent lakers then decided to go over to honeoye and I slammed the big gills and crappies. Ended up with 25 or so gills and about ten crappies