Erie Canal

Rippin'Line

several of my buddies and I have been able to find some walleyes in several areas around the canal towrds Lyons area. Just wondering if anybody knows what part of the water column they tend to hang out in there. we've been banging them on cranks mostly but theyre generally 16 to 20 inches max. Only got one around 5lbs. Any canal advice?

Yes. plenty of 'eyes in the canal...Along with plenty of largemouths, smallmouths, and northerns....and other warmwater fish...Anywhere a creek, like Garnargua, comes in is good for the 'eyes. Also, there are some really small creeks, unnamed to me, that enter into it, and the 'eyes and bass and everything else will be there. I generally will use minnow baits, such as countdowns or flatraps or fatraps or something like those. Swimbaits have worked, to. Try traditional low light, (or night) times of the day close in to the banks and any cement walls, like in Palmyra. Work right into the flow of any entering waters. Often some really good fishing in the canal. :yes: