LOOKING BACK

[/b NEW JERSEY YOUTH DAY SPECIAL DEER HUNT

By Leonard A.Cagno

It was saturday Nov. 22nd , 2008 and time for my grandson's Eric's second deer hunt, not getting a shot On his first hunt. Twelve years of age now he was eagerly awaiting this day for some time now,not to say that I was not.

Five A.M. came early that day,and even grandma got up to make us a great breakfast it was unusually cold for this time of year at grandpa's farm in Wantage, N.J.being only 16 degrees , so we put on all the cloths we owned ,if we were to survive in our two man tree stand for any length of time. Back packs and fanny packs filled up with thermos of hot coffee and hot chocolate we headed up the hill to our tree stand, Located at the edge of the woods, some 350 yards from our farm house and over looking a small two acre field,surounded by stone wall hedge rows and more woods on the far side . I had planted a clover food plot here about three years ago. Day light broke about six A.M. with clear skys and no wind, lighting up the white birches scatered in front of our stand. What a beautiful day . I thanked god for that, and allowing me to be here with one of my five grandsons,and hopefully being able to do the same with my other four grandsons when they are ready, some day.

Must of been about 7]Eric_s_First_Buck_1.jpg[/url]