Trolling motor interference

My bow mounted trolling motor causes a crazy amount of interference with my Garmin Echomap. I have to turn the gain way down to get some clarity but was wondering if any one has any tips to help limit the inference. The pic is when I was using my trolling motor to move and then when I stopped. 

20240428_111339.jpg

Update: after googling and checking my set up, it looks like i forgot to install a ferrite bead so I'll toss that on the transducer cable near the head unit and hopefully that helps clear up the picture.  

10 hours ago, Shakemsam said:

Are you using the TM transducer, or the FF's?

The fish finders. The TM has a universal one built into it but it's not connected to any display or anything.

2 hours ago, Mikeyman104 said:

The fish finders. The TM has a universal one built into it but it's not connected to any display or anything.

If you're running the FF on the TM battery, that could be your problem.

My two cents on sonar interference:

What to look for when experiencing sonar interference issues:

Use good quality resistor type spark plugs with shielded spark plug wires
Air under transducer (bubbles, prop wash, turbulence, etc.) – avoid strake and chine areas
Transducers mounted too close together
Transducer cables bundled too close to nearby power cables (coupling and crosstalk)
Poor grounding of electronics (this is a biggie!)
Clean battery terminals and contacts, recommend dielectric grease to ensure good contact and prevent oxidation
Good idea to run dedicated power to all your individual electronics, and not share power off the same branch circuit
Always best to power an electric trolling motor using its own dedicated battery/batteries
Excess transducer cabling (keep away from alternators and other sources of EMI)
Bundle excess cables in a “Figure 8” instead of creating big loops of cable
Low battery/alternator voltage will cause LOTS of problems!
Interference from multiple transducers using the same frequency
•Inspect sonar transducers and cables for damage (e.g., debris, cracking, zip ties, etc.)
Underwater LED lighting can sometimes interfere with sonar
Sonar settings:
  1. Traveling at high speeds through the water compresses sonar information. Recommend increasing the scroll speed on your display to stretch out the sonar returns for a better picture. Just be sure to revert your settings when you slow down for trolling as too high of a ping rate will blur out returns.
  2. Increase gain, but not too much that you start amplifying clutter
  3. Increase “Ping” rate – this effectively increases beam coverage in the water
  4. Adjust sensitivity every day to optimize the water conditions for the day

All that said, I would avoid using a ferrite core on the transducer cable, as this would likely filter out some of the high-speed sonar data streaming from the transducer to the display unit, resulting in an additional problem.  Rather, you'd be much better off placing that ferrite core on the incoming power cable to the sonar display unit.

Hope this helps.

if you have a Minn Kota motor check the 3 amp fuse ..this video shows it ..mine blows from time to time and when it does I cant run my motor and depth finder at the same time 

Thanks all! Trolling motor is on it's own 24v system and Garmin is on it's own 12v system so didn't think they would really interfere with each other. Only got the one transducer on the back that goes to the Garmin and the transducer on the trolling motor isn't plugged into anything right now. 

Actually went out on Oneida last night and while running the trolling motor I didn't have any interference that I could notice. However, I was only in 15 FOW so think that's the bigger reason i didn't notice anything. We'll see what happens when I go out again in a deeper body of water.