I need to order a prop for my Mercruiser, but which one??

I need to order a prop for my mercuiser Alpha one 4.3L. I was looking online and saw many options out there. How can I know which one to order? I am not sure about what pitch it has etc. My boat is in the water now so it's not easy for me to tell with it being in Ny and me in Pa. I saw my friend change his out last year and it looked simple enough to do so I was hoping to order one now and do it myself and save a few bucks instead of paying the marina to do it. Your feed back is appreciated.

They really are incredibly easy to change. As far as the right prop, that's a simple Q with a complex answer. need to know first why are you changing it? Is it just damaged or is there a performance issue? In any event you do need to get the right pitch, which means you need to look at the one on there now. It most likely will have a model number and probably a number followed with a 'P': xxP. Also make a note of your RPMs at WOT, and double check that against the motors recommended WOT range or otherwise within about 300 or so RPMs of redline, plus or minus a hundred or so. If so, then you have the right pitch. Beyond that its about choosing a prop that matches the performance you're looking for. The Merc prop selector on their website will help narrow it down for you.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] BlackBerry.png

My prop got a little banged up around the edges. I'd like to order a replacement for it and have this one repaired. I guess I will take I off and get the numbers off of the prop and order a newer before I cause damage to my lower unit.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Chris,

There should be a tag on your motor with the WOT specs, there is a website that you can plug in the specs of your boat, length, weight, motor etc. then you will get a couple diff props, depending on what you are looking for. I will try to find it, and post the link here.

Capt. Rich

• 4 weeks later...

I spent 2 years trying to research and learn which prop to get for my boat. Very confusing process. After talking to many, many prop resellers I decided to trust PropGods.com. They have an excellent reputation and asked me many questions before suggesting a prop. I am very, very pleased with the performance of my new prop because it accomplished my goals. They also have a return policy and will get you the best prop for your boat if you're not pleased with their original suggestion.

Even a mechanically challenged person as myself was able to change the prop within 15 minutes.