Downrigger questions

Do you folks use braid rather than mono to prevent stretch when downrigging(hook setting purposes)? How far should my spoon be behind my release?...I am using a 12lb fluoro leader. I am fishing mostly Seneca. Thanks...

^^^ what he said. I use blacks and scotty releases. I use 15 lb fluor leader, and 30 lb main line to prevent flea build up. Mono is the way to go.. You might regret the braid that day you get s snag and need to break free..

Apb,

Nick is right on. I like to stay away from the braid because it is terrible with the fleas.

You do want to use a wire-line with the dipseys for the reason you mentioned...stretch. If you use mono, the fish won't trip the dipsey as easily when it hits.

You want to keep your drag nice and loose so when the fish hits it can pull some line out. I lose fish if the drag isn't loose.

Thanks guys...how about length from ball to spin doctor and fly or spoon? I have read that if you have to much fluoro from dipsy or ball weight to spinn doctor it may not perform correctly?

An arm-span between Dipsey and Spinny so you can net fish.

I use 30# Mono b/w Dipsey and Spinny. The Dipsey presentation is not a very stealthy one, so the 50# floro fly-leader is sufficient.

This set-up is to mimic a school of bait bish (Spinny) with a lone baitfish trailing behind (Fly). The fish is focused on the fly so the leader b/w Dipsey and spinny shouldn't be an issue.

I wouldn't use flouro leaders for a flasher. It can't handle the impact from a fish. As for distance behind a ball, start with 5 foot up to 20... the fish will tell you... white green dot spin Dr. With white or green fly

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png