Cayuga 9-23

Bobber

Kade & I ran up sunday morning to T-Falls and got on the water @ 9:30. Kade wanted to set up out front and troll south so we did. Temp was 65 on top and 65 70' down. At 90' still had 58. Set up with riggers at 90' and 100', and dipsys with SD and fly out 200' - 300'. Screen was loaded all the way to the yaght club where we picked up. I think the fish had their bellies full already, caught 5 smallish atlantics that looked like they were going to pop, and a pig laker that we were looking for the weekend before. Laker came on dipsy out 280' and was the only shot we had between the four dipsy rods. When we picked up, temp was 58 down 120'. North wind kicked up around 12:30, whitecaps started to form, so we called it a day. Kade was itchin' to get home and hit Grandpa's pond anyway.

Almost forgot...anybody else fish sunday and experience some really wierd currents? Couldn't decide if what I was experiencing was real, or if my X-4 was having a bad day. Pretty much the whole time we were out we were on a south troll...GPS speed was 2, surface speed was 1.3, down speed 3, and rigger cables and dipsy rods were lookin' like about 1.5. So we finally pretty much ignored everything and fished by the rigger cables and dipsy rods which X-4 was showing downspeed of 3.4. Still scratchin' my head.

Kyle

IMAG0166.jpg

Nice fat laker!

Wasn't out but I'm guessing your probe was working correctly and I'll take a stab at why. Been pretty breezy recently.

If there was 70' of warm water you were trolling with that current moving south, giving you the 1.3 surface vs. the 2.0 gps. Under that warm layer the cold water was headed in the other direction giving you the 3.4 probe speed. That much water moving south is going to displace what is already there so it sets up an opposing current.

Since most of the line (both dipseys and riggers) was in the top layer that's the effect you saw on the boat since it was pretty thick. Down deep your cables probably took on a slant that looked more like the 3+ depending on how far into that layer you were running. Or at least that's the picture in my head, who knows it may even make sense to someone else.

I fished Canandaigua and we experienced different currents in certain areas, probe speed would go from 1.5-1.75 then bottom out to zero. Wind was WSW and surface current was SE. We deployed a 300' copper on a north troll and the flasher was surfing SE into the 600' chute copper. Once we tucked in closer to west shoreline surface current was a little less evident. We were watching diver rod bend for speed indication at times.

Nice explanation Hermit...I was thinking the same thing, but this is the first time I have ever seen my dipsy rods and cables disagree with downspeed. Usually if currents are real bad I end up ignoring gps and surface, and just going by downspeed and the looks of the dipsy rods and cables. Just never seen them completely disagree. Thanks for the input!

Kyle

Hermit- makes alot of sense.

Lake turn overs can have big effects on current. Also when the wind pushes water to one end or the other, heavy currents develop when that flow is returning to the other end.

Has anyone noticed areas of the lake that seem to have currents set-up all year no matter the weather? I remember Seneca had some strong year around currents around peach orchard. How about Cayuga?

Lavarock