Brining your own bait

I guess I already know what I'm going to do (try everything) but I thought I'd pose this question about brining your own bait.

I will be brining alewives, smelt and herring, both as whole bait and strips to experiment.

Would you add

1) Anise Oil?

2) Garlic Salt?

3) Kosher or pickling salt?

4) Dyes - Red, Green, Blue?

4) Laundry Bluing?

5) Borax?

6) Pre-prepped brines like Pro Cure or Pautze?

7) Run pure frozen bait and only brine those you have left over at the end of the day?

8.) Herring oil?

One other unrelated question. Where can I buy thin peices of wire that I can use while tying Sushi Rigs?

Thanks,

Doug

As to your wire question, try small diameter copper fly tying wire ( used to rib fly bodies) or maybe small elec wire with insulation stripped. Whichever thin copper is the way to go.

Salt can firm up bait if bait was not as fresh as you prefer when it was frozen and thaws juicy and loose. I run fresh frozen whole bait or salted fresh frozen filets for sushi fly strips (most often) using copper wire to lash it after sliding it onto hook point of a custom tied rig.

When I used to wrap herring strips on flatfish for AK kings we would apply/soak the salted strips in herring oil (thick), seemed to be effective have not tried it here.

Also clean your used meat gear of old scent/crusties. AK Kings would turn off on the old scents. Toothpaste works well with a brush. Had a head guide beat this into me, he was right.