Improve Port Bay Water Quality?

tbulhead

Port Bay seems to start off in April/May with a clear black coffee kinda of color. During July and into August it starts to turn green. It can also get kinda of ripe and stagnet. The channel is usually good but is not big enough to flush our the bay. This is how its been ever since I can remember. Various reasons I've heard besides the small channel are the cottage septic systems, Wolcott treatment plant, farm and residential run off, ect..... I personally will head to the lake to swim because the water is so much cleaner than the bay.

Besides maintaining the channel, the Port Bay Improvment Association has stated there is a water quality issue. They have also become worried about the erosion of the northern bank which is on the eastern side of the channel. I am wondering if shoring up the bank is the right way to go. Wouldn't it be better to have this section of the bay open to the lake to improve the water quality. A good south wind would flush the bay out and a north wind would bring in clean water. Also this scanerio would be similar to Braddocks with the exception that the channel would be maintained.

I know property owners are upset about any erosion (and they are the driving force behind the PBIA), but the big waves would still be broken up by the submerged land/reef/ whatever is still above water of the east side of the channel.

From a water quality point of view am I right or am I wrong? Any views?