24 volt trolling motor & batteries

reillym

Hello fellow fishermen

My new Yamaha G3 angler 175fs is almost ready, im looking into putting a 24 volt transom mounted trolling motor on board for trolling out on the lake off of Oswego, seeing what recommendations there are from other that use them. What makes are the best and ones that will last ? what are some good deep cycle batteries? I do plan on putting in a good chargeing system too, I have had the prosport before and it worked fine, any recommendations on the newest ones out there? Thanks a million!

Edited by reillym

I cannot reccomend anything on the stern-mounted trolling motor (I have a bow mounted one), but I can say that I really like duralast marine batteries from Autozone.  When you are picking out a battery, I always went with the motto of buying the battery with the most amount of cold cranking amps that you can fit in your boat...I ended up going with the 800CCA for both of my trolling motor batteries.

The charger I went with is the Bass Pro XPS 5/5/5 (three bank) charger.  I have my 2 trolling motor batteries along with my 1 main battery all hooked up for charging.  I was going to buy a promariner when I was looking, but then saw great reviews on the XPS -- and even better, I saw a sticker on the XPS model that said it was made by promariner.

Last, I have never trolled the big lakes with just my trolling motor.  I always thought that I could if there were no waves, but am not sure I would be able to get my proper trolling speeds off of the trolling motor with any chop on the lake (other than always going with the waves so you have the speed of them helping you out). 

For comparison to what you are trying, I am in a 17'5" tracker deep-v with a 80-lb thrust minn kota terrova 24v trolling motor.  I am normally casting and usually running at a 3 speed (out of 10) and getting it to about .7mph (on an inland lake though).  With these speeds, I am able to get about 4 solid days of fishing before I need to re-charge.

Hope this helps a little with your next purchases.  Let me know if you want to know anything more than what I mentioned above...

--Joe

I have a Minn Kota Terrova 80 bow mounted trolling motor with iPilot on my 18 ft Crestliner. I use the autopilot to steer the boat and my big motor for power. Great set up just point the trolling motor in the direction I want to head and hit the autopilot button. Great when you have a fish on or especially a double you can concentrate on fighting fish and no worries aboout steering the boat. Sorry I don't have any info on transom mounted motors. My batteries are Interstate deep cycle hooked up to a Minn Kota 5/5 amp charger. No issues or problems with either one.

Your boat is similar to mine and just the electric wasn't enough to push the boat 2.5 to 3 mph salmon speeds all day long but I can put the big motor in gear to push the boat and set the electric on 2-3 setting which will last all day long. Works great for me.

My 55lb Terrova did not work welk on my crestliner 167. I alsi had the auto pilot/Gps. O is a completely different animal.

On the other hand it wrked amazing if I wanted to take a leak on the big O. Point the boat somewhere, press "auto pilot" do your stuff without worrying of the boat going in circles