Regular Dipsy (001) with large ring depth vs mag dipsy (003)

I used regular dipsys (001 - 4 1/8") and weighted mag dipsys (003 - 4 7/8") and have the depth charts laminated in my boat which I consult frequently. A friend gave me some regular dipsys with the aftermarket larger ring on them which basically converted them from 4 1/8 inch to 4 7/8 inch but without the weight. He glued them on bc he said that the rings have a tendency to slip off. Of course, I could change to regular rings, but would like them to function closer to mag dipsys.  As they are, I'm guessing that they'll run to depths somewhere between the reg dipsy and weighted mag dipsy.  The mag dipsy weighs 8.8 oz vs 5.8 oz for the reg dipsy with larger ring. If I add 3 oz of sinkers to the 001 w larger ring, I'm thinking that this should run at same depth as mag dipsy? Anyone tried this before? Thanks.

It may get you close but probably not exaxctly the same because of more drag in the water from the sinkers stacked above it (assuming thats how your adding weight). It may also not allow it to plane out to the side as well. I've never heard of anybody doing this so these are just my thoughts on it. Post back on how it works.

The rings on the conventional dipseys can be a real pain and I've been gluing etc. a dozen or two of them for years. Recently, I bought a pair of Deeper Divers to try to get away from the problem and test a different solution and so far so good. They are weighted more heavily and don't use the rings to achieve depth. I have the 124 mm size (largest) and they will go down over 100 ft with about the same amount of line out that the conventional ones use to get down 60 or 70 ft. Here is the link: http://www.trollingdivers.com/