Surface temps don't mean much to me. But I do pay attention to them in early spring fishing as slight changes of <1 degree can concentrate the fish in specific areas near shore. Also, during the rest of the year, it's good to know when the lake flips over (surface temp changes from say 65 to 43 overnight-fish could be anywhere in the water column and are likely scattered everywhere).

The probe temp is critical at all times of the year. Depending upon species, I want to know at what depth the desired temperature is at. Simply stated, I want to know the depth of 50 degree water. Knowing this, when the hooks I see on the FF at in this depth, they are likely to be actively feeding and chasing.  I might also want to know how deep before it is too cold for active fish (40 degree or less-not likely to hit a lure). That would give me my maximum fishing depth. 

With a temperature depth range that is known (let's say 50-80) for holding fish, I put my lures in this water area and begin the trolling. Heavy boat traffic prevents repeated, rapid passes over a particular spot, but this is effective when few or no other boats are working the same area. 

For steelhead I target water near 50 degrees near the top of water column (40 ft and up), but for salmon I prefer it colder, low 40's-mid levels to deep. Lake trout I want 39-42 water near/on bottom. Browns want 50 degree temps meeting the bottom.

There is a lot of water out there, so finding these conditions in a specific area tells me when to put the lures out and where the fish are most likely to be.

Hope this explains it.