Single vs dual freq transducers

Erbyjoe

OK Let try a topic that everyone knows about. I had some friends ask me about what ducer they should get and I think the post we had a long time ago was lost in the crash ;( So I run a dual but have had a 200 khz single on my x 15 paper graph and I was able to see my riggers very well I just tilted the transducer back some and was good to go but My X 85A I had before my 620 I just bought lost the signal as I went deeper due to the blow back.I'm asking every one I know who fishes Lake Otario. So Let here from you guys and what you think :D Thanks in advance :)

Transducers operate buy sending sound waves into the water, receiving

bounce back signals and interpreting the returned signal as a blip,or target

via the processor in the head unit. The target is then displayed on the screen

of your head unit.

The sound waves most commonly are transmitted in 200 ,50, or 200/50 khz

or kilohertz. The waves take the form of a cone.

The 200khz cone is a relatively narrow cone originating at the trans. and widening over increased depth. It is generally used in "shallow" water situation,100-200ft or less.

The 50khz cone is much wider at depth and, because of a longer wave length, is able to give better performance at much greater depths. Long wave lengths (low tones),travel farther and faster through water

Most ff's give you the option of using both cones simultaneously ,or dual.

This will give you the most feedback info. However, sometimes it is too much info for the head to process effectively. You should experiment with

all settings in different situations to see what works for you.

Also remember the unit's transmitting power plays a big part in your ff's

performance. The more power, the greater your target definition at depth.

350 watts power is fine for Great lakes fishing. 500 watts is better,and is what you will find on the majority of quality ff's.

Placement of transducer,style and other variables will also affect performance.

Some tips:

Turn off fish ID. That's the feature that shows the cute little fish. It is actually a filter. It will affect performance negatively.

Air is the #1 enemy of a transducer. Make sure you mount the trans. away from any cavitation caused by your boat.

FF's only cover small area. Many times you may not see the fish that hits.

What you see on the screen is history, you have already passed over what

you see. Many times a single fish will give multiple signals as it passes through your cone.

Good fishing,

West Marine electronic mgr.

George