The doing planer board?

Ok so had an incident yesterday that through me off. Was setting my planer for the copper and and had the right side out. I checked the board before I put it out to be sure I had the correct side out. It pulled out nicely and as I was letting the copper out it was directly behind the boat. Looked at the driver who was going in a straight course. Looked behind me again and the planar was gone! It freakin dove down! So cleared lines threw the boat in neutral and pulled the board back up which was floating at this point. And checked the side again to be sure and the right board was on the right side of the boat. So as in standing there all confused I see someone on another boat scrambling around with their board straight in front of their boat while the other is behind them. Now there were some wicked currents out in front of fair haven yesterday but I have never seen or heard of planer boards diving. I have the wood boards that have 2 sections. Anybody else experience this or know why it happened? Never been so dumbfounded in my life.