Cayuga Jigging 9/1

hermit

Hey all, finally made it back on the lake after a two month break.  It's gone by quickly but I was getting pretty itchy to fish!  A friend picked me up in his boat near Sheldrake and we did some mid-lake jigging on the east side for a few hours, from around 6:30 to 10:15 I think.  

Beautiful morning, warm, light winds, overcast to start with clearing skies.  Fishing was awesome, the biting part was decent.  Lots of lakers around but they weren't too hungry.  I think I only got two boatside with a lot of short strikes and plastics returning with missing tails.  Broke one off, lost another nice one, missed another heavy when I botched a set.  So we had bites but mostly lookers and chasers.  The boat captain (Copperliner) did better, he had 4 though I might be forgetting one.  Some small 15" fish but also decent fish, I kept some in the 5-6 lb range.  No particular color or profile seemed to stand out.

Not the best fishing but it was the best morning possible- good company, good weather, and a much needed return to Cayuga.  It still feels good several days later!   Thanks for the trip!

Edited by hermit

Glad to hear that you got out and had a good day!

We were out there as well on Sunday and found the same thing...a great day with a slow bite!  Fish absolutely everywhere, but a lot of "lookers" and "teasers", but not so many of the more aggressive chasers.  Slightly smaller on average, but some nice ones mixed in.  A bit rough out there with the boat traffic down near Taughannock and AES!

Edited by Outdoorsman

Hey cool, that's great you're getting out on the fingers when you can. :yes: Folks must have slept in, I was shocked at how few boats we saw early up near AES.  No pleasure boats at all, only 3 others fishing for trout, a few boats shallower for bass/perch. We did knock off pretty early, good timing in that case.