The Greatest Season That Never Was

Hello All,

Some of you may remember a post I made about a firend with a nice 21 foot Penn Yan that he never used.  I was pondering whether to approach him with the proposition that if he left the boat in my care, I would keep it in good repair and street legal, and let him know when the bite was on.  At first I had doubts about doing something like that (which we discussed on this board), but the purchase of a V8 truck and the fact that red oak markets are very good right now made me pull the trigger and approach him.  He liked the idea.

that was a couple of months ago, since which time I had visions of a wonderful summer spent up on Lake Ontario, trolling and jigging without being as worried about or limited by the weather in my little 16 footer.  this would be the summer that I really give myself a case of fishermen's tennis elbow!

So i went to visit the boat where he keeps it parked (outside) to see what things it will need.  It was covered with snow and ice and was hard to examine.  But the blanket of white couldn't conceal the glaring fact that the duellie trailer has been in a bad crash.  One side of the wishbone frame was hit and stove in about 2 feet from the tongue.  the tongue itself is bent about 25 degrees out of whack.  I just felt this big sinking feeling.  i don't even know if you could tow it the way it is, in order to bring it to a launch to float it off the old trailer should you buy a new one.  With 2 flat tires, you'd need to buy tires just to get it off the old trailer!  My friend gave me a budget as to what he'd be willing to spend to get the boat running again (don't think it has been started in 6 years or so), but a new trailer would exhaust that.  The way things are, i don't know if I would take it if he gave the boat to me.

What a shame.  i rode this boat a few times years ago on Lake Erie, and it is a very nice craft.  if I had approached him 6 years ago, the boat would be ship shape today.  The only fate i see for this once fine boat is to sit under the sun until the fiberglass delaminates.  Gonna have to be happy with my humble little 16 footer!

Think Spring You All,

Pete Collin

www.pcforestry.com

Pete,

This is a terrible story! unfortunately I see many boats around here that meet this similar fate. Your comment about red oak was interesting to me, as I am a Forester/Timber Harvester in the Finger Lakes region. Do you actually harvest or are you a consulting forester; or both, which is rare? If you need to find a ride for lake O this year I have a very nice 26' Penn Yan for sale fully rigged. -William

William,

I am a consulting forester, not a logger.  The whole saga surrounding my friend's boat is predicated by the fact that I really can't afford a big boat.  Not without marital repercussions!

Pete