First timer headed to chaumont bay after perch. Any tips tham might help?

LunkerLander

With the storm we're getting right now it will likely mess up the ice access for a while. That being said there's plenty of ice and I don't see it going away. I like putting a Castmaster or Swedish pimple on the bottom for weight and attraction and two hooks above it. Bait all three with fatheads and work it near the bottom. Keep moving around till you hit a hot hole and then drill a second hole and work two rods. Set rods on a pail or in holders and watch the tips for bites giving them a jig peridocally. When fish are there you can really hammer them using two rods each with 3 baits. When in the search mode give each hole about 15 minutes before moving as sometimes it takes a while for them to move in.  Also look for groups of fisherman that may indicate a hot area but be considerate and don't crowd them.  The bite should only get better as day length continues to increase. Perch bite is just getting started.

Not much available for hotels this time of year but Watertown isn't really too far. I just called Chamount Hardware and they thought the ice was mostly clear with some drifting. They are a good source for bait and fishing information and are located right on the main drag of Chamount.

Edited by Kevin J Legg

As for perch hot spots right now try in Shallow water near Johnson Shoal the ice is about 30 to 40 inches thick all over the bay. I've had the best luck on and around that shoal. Try in 10-20 fow or right off Independence point or in sawmill bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United