Oak in May and June

Hey guys, I am bringing my boat out to the oak earlier this year- mid May to mid June. What can I expect for fishing there? I assume steel and coho on top and browns if I want, but I am more interested in the salmon. I hear they are a much bigger part of the fishery in the earlier months than they are in sodus... Is it a mid depth bite(100-200) or usually a more off shore bite?

I know it is tourney time, and I don't need super specific info, just general ideas as I have literally have never fished there before July 28th....

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Fish the bait and find out where they are. Could be in close or out deep. Depends on water temp and bait. No set pattern at that time of year. Spoons, flasher flies and cut bait work fine.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

I would start out in about the 50 fow area, to setup, and then troll north until you find the bait.  Mark that spot with your GPS, and keep trolling north until you get bit.  Then mark that spot and start doing circles between the two waypoints.  That should get you started.  Expect a wide variety of fish that time of year as well.  Last year at that time I was catching cohos, steelhead, kings, and lakers in the same water column.  If you are looking for browns, just hang a left or a right out of the chute, and setup in about 10-15 fow with planers and stickbaits, and fish the colored water.  Hope that helps. :yes: