Spring Trolling

Good day to all: Winter is finally over and  I'm ready to get the boat wet. I have never chased any Browns or Bows in the spring. I keep hearing shallow is the way to go but what exactly is shallow in Lake O? I usually start around mid May and troll 60-90 FOW with small spoons and long lining Flatfish, does that sound right??? I fish North Shore between Whitby and Pickering.

Any tips would be appreciated

Keep safe and good luck,

Scott

Scott,

There are a few anglers on your Lake Ontario North shore that chase Browns early, but most trailer to the extreme West or South shores to do so. I know the OMNR and anglers groups want to improve that fishery, but it does warm much slower and the cormorant population is absolutely out of control(which could eradicate the planted Browns in little time).

If you choose to remain in your home area, shallow Spring fishing is conducted in 4-20 fow, with lures sometimes even shallower. Obviously you will need to know the area to prevent collisions with shoals, boulders or any underwater hazards. Start by finding the warmest water available relative to the area, and creek flows are often a great place to start. The easiest way to get started is to troll flat lined floater/diver plugs either directly off the boat or with planer boards. 

Good Luck!

Scotty,  right now you want to try and find warm water. The lake is like 36 - 39F, but there are pockets of warm water.  So probably troll close to the nuke plant.  I fish out of Oakville, so don't know your area all that well. Warm water is close to shore normally. For us we would be looking at much shallower water like 10 - 30 ft.  Otherwise, you need to go way out to the middle of the lake (not recommended right now) and find warmer water.

Also what works is trolling the edge of a mud line, which attracts bait fish and trout behind them.  Not sure if you have any rivers out that direction, but river outlets form great mud lines.  Troll edge of mud and clean water.