My Islander project.

rolmops

2 years ago my eyes were bigger than my brains and I bought a starcraft Islander that I should have left alone. Ever since that fateful day I have been in a love hate relationship with this rig. Whenever I take out ,it performs well and has all the quality one can expect from an Islander. Whenever It's at home,for yet another improvement I get mad at it because,with all the money I dumped into it ,I could have bought a 26 footer with outboard like the one that musky bob had for sale a few years ago. Instead I have my 1984 potbellied 19 footer.

So far, I rebuilt the transom and the engine, replaced the axle on the trailer,installed electric brakes on the trailer and bought a Dodge Nitro 4 liter straight six to haul it around with. This weekend I will repour the flotation foam and lay a new epoxy resin infused floor and sides. When that is done only the paint job on the outside is left to do and a fitting name has to be found. I am toying with "my Bane" or "Stupidity Should hurt" but in the end it will probably be "Happy Bumbler"

The lesson learned in this story is that the money saved on an older boat purchased on a whim of the moment is usually only a quarter of the money spent to get it in the right shape and the time fixing it is fishing time lost.

On the other side,I immensely enjoyed crawling around in the old tub and slowly improving it with my own hands and blood smears.

Edited by rolmops