Hummingbird 798d hd

bbolger

Hi all,

Purchased one of these to put on my 14.5 Smokercraft boat last year. Finally got to try it the other day on Lake Ontario. I have always in the past used Raymarine stuff but bought this on a recommendation.

I can mark bait but if it is marking fish it is nothing like my old units. I see a small mark, no arch, hard to say the marks are even fish based on what my Ray units showed. No fish following in riggers etc.

Starting to think I should hve stuck with Ray or considered a Furuno...

Any thoughts? Wrong unit for lake fishing ? Need to switch settings? If so suggested settings ? Will be used primarily for trout and salmon fishing.

Thanks in advance,

Bruce

Sounds like you had it set for down imaging.  Switch it back to sonar (200 kHZ).  Play around with the sensitivity. 

What you described is what it looks like when you have it set for down imaging.  You won't get hooks/arc's.  Just grouped dots.  It might not mark your rigger balls or streakers.  Down imaging is a narrower beam/cone.  It's not ideal for deep water trolling.  It's designed more for still fishing in shallower water. 

oops... just put my glasses on ... the unit s a 798ci hd

It is already set to 200hz. Is there a way to turn on/off the down imaging that I am not seeing in the menus?

Bruce