First time out advice

I am trying to get organized for a first attempt at this salmon and trout trolling deal. I have more or less decided on the south end of Cayuga. Keeping in mind that I have never been out on this lake in a boat yet, what advice can you give me concerning lure choice, depth,and or any other practical issues? I think that I would probably be best off just trying to figure out 1 or 2 downriggers or maybe just 2 flatlines if this has much of a chance. I am not even going near the boards at this point. I am hoping to have the Lowrance 525c hooked up( it is replacing a cheap Eagle unit that probably came with the boat- it really doesnt show much more than bottom depth).Maybe I am better off using the simple sonar though, because there will probably be enough stuff going on for my small mind to begin with...

chowdy ,the so end is shallow for some ways outa cayuga inlet ,use the nav. aids near the moulth of the channel .if your gonna do the so end there is a warm water discharge on the east side not to far from the end ,but i would spend a little time on the west side around the yaght club ,2or 3 miles up 2and 2 will work ok i would stagger my riggers 15 and 25 ft down back 50 to 100 and add sliders for the curious fish that come near the prop wash. id put the top back 100 ft also landlocks will hit shorter leads but at a 100 ft to start it give you some time to enjoy a few jumps before you get em to the back of the boat.dont expect to see any top fish on the sonar the cone is real small at 20ft . the biggest thing to be concerned with are my 3 S's = speed,speed,speed...2.5 to2.7 mph

What Ray says Chowder. ....and

Don't get yourself hung up on all the rigging stuff all at once. Take your time and ease into it or you'll get yourself frustrated and cash it all in. This is a good time of year to work the upper water columns and that won't be as challenging as later in the season.

Another easy setup to try is a mini diver disc,...6' leader with spoon or plug set back 40' to start, then lenghten the set back as the fish go deeper. This will be good practice for the bigger divers later in the season.

The chartreuse-y - orangey stuff has been working lately. Also try the naturals. The water temps will start to change and you'll start seeing warm and cold water, clear & stained water. Work those edges.

Although speed is of utmost importance your lure action will tell you if your in the game. Check your spoons & plugs to be sure they are running properly. You may not be able to mix certian lures because of speed. And last but not least.....don't leave fish to go find fish.....big mistake :$ unless of course your arms are tired from reeling in fish and you want to go home :P .

Good luck....enjoy yourself and tell us a fish story on Monday ;) .

Unless I install the Lowrance I wont have speed data, unless there is some other trick or guideline to follow. This crumby cold weather has kept me from working on the boat- should I wait till Ive gotten it installed?

Unless I install the Lowrance I wont have speed data, unless there is some other trick or guideline to follow. This crumby cold weather has kept me from working on the boat- should I wait till Ive gotten it installed?

Do you have a GPS? Even a hand held will work 8) . If so use GPS speed.

If not ;( and no other way to moniter speed and you really want to get out on the water then drag a plug along the side of the boat and keep within a speed range that the plug runs properly.

I wouldn't give up a day on the lake unless it was to work on my boat.................or go have dinner at `frisco's house.

Why not install your FF on Sat and fish Sunday?