Fridge / 110v plugs issue

markmonkey1

On my buddy's boat, the fridge and plugs work only when plugged into power at dock. No power to these when running under engine power. Is this normal? Bad power inverter? (How do we test it?). Anything else we should look at?

Edited by markmonkey1

12v systems versus 120 volt..

Your shore power is an AC current. Just like your house. Your boat, would require an generator to keep this stuff alive. Unless the specific fridge were to be installed, that automatically switch from 120 v AC to 12v DC once the main power is cut at the dock.

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

To test the inverter is pretty easy. First verify you have 12vdc coming in to the a unit, then verify you have a good ground (ohms from the negative terminal on inverter to a solid ground should be less than 1ohm). Then look inside, there could be an internal fuse. If you have power in, and no 120v out, time to replace.

My inverter has (2) 30 amp external blade fuses. As previously stated, check 12v power to inverter,If 12v is ok, then put the test leads into a 120v socket (after switching to d/c from a/c on your test meter) If you have no power, check to see if you have a GFCI outlet (mine does). if its tripped, re set it and test it for power again. If your outlet isn't tripped and you have good 12v supply but still no power, check for fuses (there should be fuses in it somewhere) if the fuses are ok, and everything else checks out, then your inverter is probably shot. 

Also, my inverter is in "stand by" when turned on. I have a remote switch that has to be turned on in order for the inverter to produce a/c power. We have had many times when trying to perk coffee that someone switched the inverter on, but never pushed the "on" switch at the dash. Nothing like thinking a cup of coffee is being brewed, and going to get one and it was never turned on.  :shake:

Edited by Great Lakes Lure Maker