Lowrance SP-BL

Does anyone use the Lowrance SP-BL speed, temp accessory? I have an hds5 gen 2 and am looking at either the Airmar P66 or the lowrance SP-BL. I read in another site that the SP-BL only reads in 1 mph increments, if that's the case, it's no use to me. What about the Airmar P66?  Does it read in tenths of a mph?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

• 3 weeks later...

So, after some research, I found that the Airmar P-66 was considered a step down from the 83/50/200 KHZ Lowrance transducer. (Others opinion's from internet searches) As far as the SP-BL 99-96 Lowrance paddle wheel, its just a speed accessory to the original transducer . Plug it in and plug the original transducer to the "Y" in the cable. It does read in tenths as well. Took me a few short minutes to enable it, and overlay it to my sonar screen and now I have SOG/SOW on my sonar screen. All I have left to do know is calibrate it. I also wasn't aware of some of the features the HDS5 has until I started to set the paddle wheel up. Can't wait to try it out this weekend.

As far as Lowrance units, if your looking for paddle wheel speed the Lowrance SP-BL 99-96 is the way to go. I really didn't want to give up the 83KHZ feature of my original transducer, and with this unit, I didn't.  

It is the one I use Jason and mine runs .2 slower than my GPS so it is pretty close....but of course it isn't speed at the ball :)

I thought you had the Airmar P66? The one I have is a lowrance SP-BL, part # 99-96. Its just a speed sensor, no transducer. I didn't get the Airmar because its speed, temp and 50/200 KHZ transducer. I got mine for 26.00 and the guy still has a few more. They go for 120. normally.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app