poopy day at olcott 4/17........

jason and myself headed east tofollow the creek plum.. got out well before sunrise and did in the 12 fish by 9;30 and lost half that many....... 4or5 browns over 10 lb and jason lost a big boy at the boat in the 15 lb range due that i wouldnt let him use the net. several 3or 4 lb steelies in the mix,before i made the stupid decision to run to the bar and look for some kings or cohos.nota 1 but oll dead eye pulls a 10/11 lb laker from the depths with a green dolphin it fought like a bigstick..im shure if we chose to stay on the easy prey we could of got a lot of fish but we kinda felt guilty spanking those browns and small steelies.. 43deg, near shore and 35,8 deg in the niagra plume i think we were a week early ,,,,gfr,yellow blue,gold yozuri stix were hot.no spoon bite yet...all released for another trip,,,,,,,,,.............most all fish lost were steelis thatwe couldnt get to due to fighting big browns..they just kept jumping back there till they got off.1 brown was really nastied up by ell and several others(browns) had ells or bad marks on them,,2.5 gps(mph)worked for us anjd east troll was best

Ray,

Were you using boards, rigging or flatline? How deep of water where you running? I can not get out until next wek and i am sure conditions will change by then.

Howie

thats ok moto the whole time ray keep saying we should have not left the fish. if we would have just trolled east we probably could have caught aleast 50 plus fish. like ray said though anyone can catch a brown we went looking for the big boys. give it about another 2 weeks

like jason said big boards set your stuff 100to 125 back kept the boat in the 12 ft water seemed to be pods of steelies with a steady pick of browns east troll was best but with a west wind it was easier to keep proper speed going with it kinda zig zaged the best we could with boards and long lines, and shallow water ,we could not add to much to the mix with speed changes but that helped too .. pretty good color and temp break to the east of the creek.it was pretty crazy for two people with four fish on at a time specially when you had a big one on with 12 lb test line all you could do was baby em in and hope the other rod was still hooked up when we could get to it.if the color is there the fish will be too .imshure erie will start warming real fast its 80 deg today in ohio and sunny to boot .if so id head offshure and look for a thermal break and hunt down the cohos .i forgot till after we were done that last year under these conditions the m&m lure color was hot .................oh well .