Short first trip of the year

I was finally able to get out on our boat for a few hours this am. After being on the water at 500 for the past few days I decided to head up a little later with Dad and Dave. High sun and clear water did not help, but we did manage to slime the deck, and missed 2 others. Was seeing bottom in 25', the fish came on a stinger bumble bee down 8' over 15' east of the river. Everything was working great on the boat, so it was a good shake down, now wish I would have headed up earlier. I was able to use the Chamberlain release for my rigger with the Depth Raider on it, had good readings down as far as 15', will report if I can get deeper without reterminating directly to the release. If you are heading out of Mexico, get there early, and stay away from the pack, and you should have some action. The only bird action we saw this weekend was north, and the alewives we found in the bellies of the fish were big, 4-6 inches.

I had the pleasure of fishing all weekend with the owner of Chamberlain releases all weekend on the BEGINNERS LUCK. This new downrigger release is awesome, I can now do away with all my roemers and the rubber bands I used to use for the small fish and the walleyes. This release has 2 adjustments on it, and you can set it to release for as little as less than a pound, but have enough tension on the rod to put the tip to the water. We had the tip of one of our rigger rods this weekend right at the water, and we were still able to release it up top with 10lb main line, and had some small browns release at the lure. These are available at all of the east end tackle shops around Mexico and Pulaski. Here is the website, if you would like to see more info. http://www.downriggerrelease.com

Rich.

Here is a pic of the first fish on the boat this year.

100_1560.jpg

Here is a pic of a Fish Doctor Kid's stick in the rigger attached with a Chamberlain, using 10lb main line. This is the rigger that the fish came on.

100_1563.jpg

Rich good to see you gettin out! We'll be up at the bar from Saturday - Sunday... finally got a new kicker (kinda dropped the other one off the side of the boat in the parking lot... oops).

Nick

Nick,

Sorry I have not called you, I have been going nonstop for the past week, and it is not going to slow down any time soon. We are going to Wilson this year, we will be back next year, just to much stuff going on. Was the drop of accident kind or was it a misplaced slip that just happened. ;) I will be waiting to see your reports, I will be in touch, Good Luck.

Rich

Rich glad to see you got the boat on the water and bless it with a couple of fish that'a a good way to start off the year :D . I took mine out yesterday for her first time out this year and she ran good my kicker coughed a couple of times then ran fine it must have been a hair ball :lol: Did you notice any thing different on your Furuno? I thought I had it hooked up to my GPS but It still doesn't work so I'm going to call Furuno today and see whats up. I love the new color GPS and it is much faster than my last one when tracking the boat can't wait to try out the fish and chip map of Lake Ontario I got with the Navionics gold map I got. Talk to you later I will try and give you a call later this week.