Youth Education Course & High School Outdoorsman Club

For those of you who do not know already, I am a high school teacher in Wayne County currently teaching Earth Science and Meteorology courses. Over the years I have seen and helped several students develop their angling skills and who now own and operate their own boats. Piggybacking on this notion, I was just approved to develop a "Science & Techniques of Fishing" course and an "Outdoorsman Club" at our high school in an effort to spark more engagement at school and get more students involved with the outdoors. I already have the bulk of the curriculum outlined for the course, and I am now putting together resources and supplies to work with. So right now I have three requests that you may be able to help me out with:

1) I'm looking for any new or used gear (line, tackle, equipment, etc.) that could still be used today (operational, functional, etc.) that you would be willing to part with/donate to the school for me to use in class and/or outfit students with. This could include lures you know you won't use, extra spools of line, terminal tackle, pliers, line cutters, etc.

2) Any charter captains, guides, company reps, company owners, DEC officers, or anyone else with a vested interest in our fishery, I am looking for special guests to bring into the classroom. It could be to talk with the students what it's like to be a charter captain, or present new lures on the market, or discuss the effect of UV tapes and paints, or discuss how spoons are made and painted, or show the students how to tie flies, or whatever else you specialize in. This would be a great way to offer sponsors more exposure and make a connection with youth education! From all of the responses I receive, I will develop a master schedule for the 2016-17 school year with those who confirm dates with me. I will do my best to fit everyone in based on specialties and proper fit within the course, but cannot guarantee everyone's inclusion.

3) Suggestions for topics/subjects/items to be included in the curriculum. Here is the general outline of units and topics I have planned out thus far:

A. Introduction (including the history of angling, angling professions, and advancements in technology)

B. Basic Angling (including general differences in lines, reels, rods, bait, lures, etc., knots, hook sharpening, lure design/making/tying, storage solutions, live bait care and containment, protection from the elements, state regs, invasive species, and C&R efforts)

C. Shore & Stream Fishing (including techniques for various species, and gear & tackle used)

D. Ice Fishing (including species targeted, safety, gear, techniques, and electronics)

E. Trolling (including waterway differences, techniques and gear used, electronics, variables when fishing, and lures)

F. Fly Fishing (including gear used and techniques)

G. Year End Tournament (held on the school's pond)

If you would like to help in any of the requests above, please respond to this thread or drop me a PM and we can discuss the details. Due to the nature of new course development, I won't actually be teaching it until the fall of 2016, so there is quite a bit of time to talk things over and plan before the first time it is taught. I am very excited for this opportunity and look forward to developing and growing this program in the upcoming years!

Thank you in advance for all those who support this developing program!!

I would love to volunteer. I will also put together some gear to help. I will p.m. you my number and stuff. Im doing something similiar in the city. Waaaay back, i had the Wayne Middle School fishing club. It was a blast. Good for you and keep it up! Those kids are lucky to have you brother!