Fair Haven May 17th, 2008

Hot action in the first hour and a half today, then a slow pick the rest of the day. The hot ticket of the day for us was a Northern King glow/pink frog, but we also got bit on a Lazer Glow Spook that I painted in my shop, a KA-BOOM red/black squiggles Shiner, a Northern King Orange Crush, a Siggs Rigs Glow Ghost Pulse Fly/Double Crush Glow White Spinny, and a Dreamweaver Steelie Cane. Two and three color leadcores worked well today as did our 100' Copper rig, a wire diver out 90' on a #2, and downriggers fished in the top 20'. Best down speed on our Depth Raider was 2.2-2.4 mph, and we worked 80-140FOW the entire day.

Best fish of the day was a 16lb King:

Topoleskimay172008002.jpg

Topoleskimay172008006.jpg

Topoleskimay172008007.jpg

Billy thanks for the information but because I am new again to fishing in FH...Can you explaing what these setups are,,,,Mike

Two and three color leadcores worked well today as did our 100' Copper rig, a wire diver out 90' on a #2, and downriggers fished in the top 20'.

Mike,

Leadcore typically comes 10 colors to a spool (300' long). They color it at the factory so that you can easily tell how much line you have out. Leadcore will sink at a rate of about 4-5' per color that's in the water. We had segmented our cores into shorter sections and ran them off of our planer boards. The 2 & 3 color cores were working the top 10-15 FOW.

Copper is run much the same as leadcore, but it sinks faster. We had a 600' copper set-up that we ran down the chute with only 100' of the copper in the water. That set-up probably got us down 20ft or so.

A wire diver is a dipsy diver that we were running on a rod/reel spooled up with 7-strand stainless steel wire line. We had the diver set on a #2 setting and had let out 90' of wire, which probably had the diver down 30' or so.

We keep the boat at Anchor Resort and will be there Wed. of this week and then again all next weekend. If you want to stop by I can show you these setups firsthand.

Hello Billy, We have a slip reserved for june 2 - 6 Cant wait to get out there. We have been fishing champlain for atlantic salmon and lakers. We got 5 salmon and 5 lakers last weekend.

What is the name of your boat? I will hopefully see you in person and get to say hello. you sound like you are on the water a lot and must keep a good eye on what the fish are up to.

To me that is the best key to catching fish. being on the water as much as possible.

Good luck and talk to you soon

Ben Birch