Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello all, New to fishing lake Ontario. I hear folks complain about the wind a lot and direction. Can anyone give me an idea as to wind direction and whens good to be out on the lake. I realize high winds are not good, but im curious about direction and how it effects the water and waves pertaining to ontario.

Thanks

Ive had some incredible chews in west winds and a 2-3 ft chop.  

East winds suck. They tend to move the cold water around (usually into shore) and really screw up any kind of themocline that's set up. West winds tend to push the colder water deeper. After an East Blow, I usually head for offshore where the more stable water is.

Curents and Temperature movements are a big part of choosing where to start.

Edited by Missdemeanor

X2 on east winds suck.....I've never done well with an east wind no matter where I have fished (for whatever reason)

Also depends on where your out of. Lots of times you can fish the west end when the east is a wash tub and vice versa.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• Can we fish with 20 mph winds

Hi everybody,   Is it possible to go out on  Lake Ontario if the winds are at about 20 mph? If the winds are from the good side? I might go to Oswego this weekend but they say the winds should come from the side of Oswego, so from the shore to the lake. Would it be possible to fish with winds that strong?   Thank you for your advice. 

in Open Lake Discussion

• High winds on Sat

Weatherman is talking about the wind gusting more than 40 mph Sat. Has anyone had success with winds that high? Been waiting all week for weekend and high winds and snow are forecast. Will deer move in that?

in Big / Small Game

• East Winds

Planning on coming up and fishing the Oak next weekend. Looks like it's going to be a few days of East Winds between 6 and 10 miles an hour. Anybody have any idea what this might do to the lake and the fishing? Any insight or info is greatly appreciated.   Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk    

in Open Lake Discussion

• Winds and this weekend's outlook

So I'm looking at the forecast for this weekend ( I know it's early but trying to plan).  It's looking like Saturday will be winds from the west with 2 footers, Sunday will be south southeast with 1 foot or less.  Which should I be fishing?  Small boat so the less waves the better but is west wind better for fishing?  

in Questions About Trout & Salmon Trolling?

• North winds?

With a strong North wind expected this thur/ fri, I was trying to remember what that will do to TEMPS this weekend. Does that in theory push cold water in? I realize it may not matter as much this time of year as TEMPS start to go out the window but just curious. Thanks guys   Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app    

in Questions About Trout & Salmon Trolling?